Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Fork leg bushings

Information on forks/springers/shocks
fourthgear

Fork leg bushings

Post by fourthgear » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:54 pm

I have a couple of slight groves in my upper lower leg bushings and am putting new tubes on , will those slight groves hinder the workability of my hydroglide front end? Will it bypass too much fluid? I can just slightly feel them with finger nails.I believe I might have to have them fitted to the newer tubes any way , but ya never know, the old ones were stock I'm sure.

I must ask either too hard of questions or just dumb one cause no one answered. I took my own advice ( when in doubt , throw it out ) I didn't want to test the tube to bushing fit , didn't want to scrach the tubes , but did any way and there was a little too much play when I cleaned the bushings up and am sending them out for replacement. Of course I kinda knew that was going to be the case any how.

Cotten

Re: Fork leg bushings

Post by Cotten » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:21 am

Fourthgear!

It is not that your question was hard or dumb,...its just that their are no psychic fortunetellers on this forum!
However, if your new bushings are reamed the old-fashioned way instead of honed, I can predict some more "slight grooves".

....Cotten

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:47 am

cotten
It was meant as a sorta joke, I was just looking to see if anyone here that knew they had slight groves if they leaked bad @ the seals . As I said I pretty much knew I would have to replace them. The groves looked like they were caused by dirt or or foreign matter working into them, thanks for replying about the honing , I will check into it.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:24 am

FourthGear!

We are all learning to understand messages, and learning to communicate with them as well.
I was really implying that the old method left grooves, as probably the Factory did as well in the first place....so some grooves are probably not a disaster. Using a huge OEM piloted reamer certainly requires some touch and experience. (I've never had one in my hands.)
But modern honing equipment can provide much better results, in the hands of a skilled operator. But Geez that's getting rare. (For example, I no longer accept such gigs! That's why I spill the beans so freely.)
If yours turns out sweet, let us know who did it, as I would rather farm such tedious operations out.

...Cotten

flh1963

Post by flh1963 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:52 am

I'm new this site but I have installed alot of upper and lower bushing. I first used a brake cly. horne and then install both with a home made installer that I made out of a brass solid bar and made a tapper on the bottom so that after the brushing were install I could get brass bar out. If I knew how to post a photo I would be glad to let yall view it. I own a 63 and 76 with a few other H.D. later pan

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:02 am

Got my sliders with new bushings installed and new tubes back from Bills Custom Cycles in Bloomsburg ,Pa. and what a fine job they did . The tubes slide smooth with no noticeable play , I am one happy camper now I can get her on the road and maybe get her down to Bike week since I'm only sixty miles from Daytona. Got to get some riding miles on first. You can check out Bills at http://www.billscustomcycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , he replaced the bushings and fitted the tubes for eighty bucks and shipping, good deal!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:24 am

That is reasonable.
I guess that means my bushing puller/press is just another wall ornament now!

...Cotten

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:03 pm

Cotten do you really do that many? I know a well equipped shop should have the set up to do it if you work on a lot of older machines as I'm sure you do. I have to admit , this is the first time I've had to replace a set of bushings on all that I have worked on or owned. I have always changed fork oil every year or so on my personal bikes ,but try to explain to a customer that it needs to be done and you get all kinds of reasons why not to. What everyone needs to know is that oil in there gets a work out , ya change your engine oil don't ya? The way the whole inside looked upon disassembly , it was not taken care of and of course I payed the price for it. It seems like to some as long as it works and doesn't leak oil ,it must be ok.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:52 am

fourthgear -

I agree Oil/ fluids are the least costly things on a machine. They ALL need frequent changes.

"It seems like to some as long as it works and doesn't leak oil ,it must be ok"

Or: It could be OUT of oil
The seals keep the fork oil in.
The bushings need oil on them or they will wear out prematurely.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:42 am

FourthGear asked:
"Cotten do you really do that many?"
I no longer do any. (Liberty stopped taking in new chassis and motor accounts three years ago.)
Now, if an associate or good client needs re-bushed, I have the perfectly good excuse that Bill's can do it fine and cheaper!
I am proud of my puller/press, however.
The bushing guide is an old stainless firehose fitting.

...Cotten

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:42 am

Put the Pan on the road this weekend and the front end rebuild works just great, went with org. type dampers and upgraded seal kit , no leaks and new bushings worked out with no play at all. Good times are a coming .

Return to “Forks/Shocks”