MY 62 FRONT END

Information on forks/springers/shocks
tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

MY 62 FRONT END

Post by tattoo mark » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 am

I REBUILT ME 62 FRONT END THE GROUND UP,I GUESS I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M DOING! THE RIGHT SIDE LEG IS STILL LEAKING OIL AND WHEN I HIT A SMALL/BIG BUMP IT SCARES ME TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!ITS MAKES WAY TO MUCH NOISE BUT IT NEVER BOTTOMS OUT,ANYONE RECOMMEND A FRONT END BUILDER? I MEAN EVERYTHING IS NEW

panz4ever

Re: MY 62 FRONT END

Post by panz4ever » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Leaking oil?...top or bottom? If it from the top of the tubes it may be that the bushing in the sliders are worn to the point of needing to be replaced. From the bottom it is usually the stud is not seated properly or the stud end extends too far past the the hole in which case a shim is needed.

Just finished my brother-in-laws front end. Had the bushings (upper and lower) redone by Bills Custom Cycles. Price was good and turn around time was excellent. Amazing how much better they fit, no more slop.

tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 pm

panz4ever wrote:Leaking oil?...top or bottom? If it from the top of the tubes it may be that the bushing in the sliders are worn to the point of needing to be replaced. From the bottom it is usually the stud is not seated properly or the stud end extends too far past the the hole in which case a shim is needed.

Just finished my brother-in-laws front end. Had the bushings (upper and lower) redone by Bills Custom Cycles. Price was good and turn around time was excellent. Amazing how much better they fit, no more slop.

its leaking on the bottom of the tube brake side,i put new seals,tubes and springs in,theres really no slop like before but when it hits any kind of bump or uneven road the front end bangs like a hammer hitting a anvil ,i've had front ends on rat bikes were the had bottomed out this to me acts the opposite.thanks

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 am

There is a flat section on the stud, which in some cases will protrude past the washer in the recess the nut rests upon. Therefore the nut can only tighten down to where it hits that flat. If this is the case you'll have to add a few more paper seal washers inside the slider at the base of the dampener bushing...As far as the hammering, all I can suggest is double check the dampener for correct assembly,Those little wire springs inside the valve are easy to F up, How much oil did you put in? I think it's supposed to be 7-8 oz.per side. I'm going to get some stock springs and get rid of these Progressive suspention springs, as mine is a bit harsh as well...Mike

tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 am

Panacea wrote:There is a flat section on the stud, which in some cases will protrude past the washer in the recess the nut rests upon. Therefore the nut can only tighten down to where it hits that flat. If this is the case you'll have to add a few more paper seal washers inside the slider at the base of the dampener bushing...As far as the hammering, all I can suggest is double check the dampener for correct assembly,Those little wire springs inside the valve are easy to F up, How much oil did you put in? I think it's supposed to be 7-8 oz.per side. I'm going to get some stock springs and get rid of these Progressive suspention springs, as mine is a bit harsh as well...Mike

mike i put 7 oz. 30wgt.oil in each side,i also put stock springs in and got rid of the lowering kit.will check the dampers.thanks

Return to “Forks/Shocks”