Triple Trees

Information on forks/springers/shocks

Triple Trees

Postby rootwad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:49 am

I got another question: I pulled my front end off today, and I am kinda wondering about the retaining nut on the top of the stem. Not the top nut but the one that holds the grease seal. Is there a washer or spacer that I need to make a flat surface where the top tree mates up? I looked in my book and there isn't one, but ...
And how tight does that nut need to be? I don't want to tighten too much into the head bearings.

Thanks
rootwad
rootwad

Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Re: Triple Trees

Postby Bosheff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Are ya talkin bout the upper cone seat. It looks like a spur on top of a convex washer? This piece seats into the bottom of yer top tree. In the newer service manuals it tell ya to use a fish scale to adjust the drag on the forks, (I can't remember what the spec is), but on the older ones I'm not really sure. I just tighten it up til there's a noticeable drag, and then install the top tree, lock tab, and top nut. Secure the top nut. Make sure yer bearing cups and bearings are seated properly, or it's possible that the whole thing will lock up on ya while yer tryin to tighten it. Once ya think ya got it where ya want it, rotate the bars back and forth. It should have a sweet motion/feel. No tight spots, not to loose. Grab the lower legs and move them forward and backward. They should not clunk....bosheff
Bosheff

Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Triple Trees

Postby Panacea » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 am

On the late models the manual calls for a "fall away" test, after setting the cone nut and top nut, you turn the bars all the way to the left and release, the wheel should go back and forth three times and stop about in the middle. Of course the cables have been removed so there is no interference. I think the method Bosheff uses is all you'll need...Mike
Panacea
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Return to Forks/Shocks