I need some help with an old bike

Information on the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
Glove
Bikes: 48 basket project
92 FXDC

farmer screws

Post by Glove » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:05 am

:oops: i see the screws you are talking about.
:cry: not my doins.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:23 am

Glove!

Cotten is my surname on my birth certificate. I cannot hide behind a "handle".

The front engine sprocket photo is indeed just that, but I cannot tell if the chain fits or what is altered. Looks damn clean, however it was done.

Legitimate un-stamped '42 WLA cases are still quite common, and your State authorities should know that. But is it up to their discretion as to whether or not they will booger them theirselves.
Your best investment would be to find an absolute junk left 45" case with a good stamping and surrender it to have yours stamped with a Harley-Davison VIN, rather than a "homebuilt" or "construct" number.

If you choose to keep it that is...
It really does make sense to look for a bigtwin motor, and the 45" is by no means trivial. The WICO might be worth a surprising sum.

The farmer screws ( one too long and a big sheetmetal screw for another) are only signs of someone's haste. Basically the whole machine seems to be relatively unmolested, but for the odd motor transplant.

It's all a hell of a lot better than most baskets I assess!

....Cotten

Glove
92 FXDC

more nonsense

Post by Glove » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:43 am

the bike has potential, I just dont wan to get in a hurry and I would like to know more about what I am doing before commiting to an idea.

So back to dating the frame....

Horn mounts- is that part of the fuel tank mounting tab?- the bracket to the front side there w/ two holes?

Oil filter mounting location.... still not sure what VT meant by yolk. I see no tabs on my seatpost tube.

I think its looking like 1949.

I would like to know what else (trans, oil pan, other stuff) I have on this frame that I can Id and possibly place in the year.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:41 am

Look at the top view pic of your frame. Do you see the two identical holes in tabs next to the seat post? No, not the two nuts someone welded to your frame for a seat spring receiver. Look up at the seat post. Now, look directly to the right. See that approx. 5/16 hole. That's where the arm bracket attaches. The arm bracket that holds the external oil filter.

Glove
92 FXDC

Blind and ignorant

Post by Glove » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 pm

VT- you would think I got bitten by snakes often as a kid.

I see the two holes on each side of the seatpost tube. Thank you.

Now I am back to 1951 untill I find some numbers on the top engne mount- under the paint.

My HD Data book says down tubes below the horn mounts on a LATE year 49 would be flatened (round early in the year). Would these flatened tubes be carried over into 1950 and 51 or was it just the late year of 49?

Glove
92 FXDC

Foot-clutch parts?

Post by Glove » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Would the bracket and round 'shifter ratchet thing' in this pic be the pieces of a foot shifter?
DSCN0249.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glove
92 FXDC

investigation creates more questions

Post by Glove » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm

-
I am wondering about some of the 48-51 features (lower engine mount, arched seat tabs, others?)

I am also looking through my Data Book (Conner) and reading about some things that were special.

*the frames in 49 would have the damper control- even on the optional springers?
*late frames in 49 were flattened below the horn mount-was this carried over into 50, 51 on the rest of the frames or just late in 49?

*50 the oil filter bolts to the frame- so 50 and up will all have two holes on each side of the seatpost and these holes were not on the 48 and 49?

*1951 has no frame change ?

*1952 should have a date code on the upper engine mount and a "revised wishbone frame with inverted U shaped tool box brackets and new motor mounts."- I still need to look under the paint, but can I tell just by the tool box bracket or mounts?

... I still dont really understand the horn mount tabs- I think I might be missing one?

I know some of these questions are sounding like a broken record but I am asking anyway just so I can get it to sink in.

Glove
92 FXDC

bored

Post by Glove » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:51 pm

I feel like doing something to the bike today. I want to see if I can get her to fire.
the plan for the week...

Clean out the tanks.
Pull the carb and check the float, maybe spray some cleaner or a gas rinse.
- (I have an old WLA overhaul manual I was going to use to get an idea for adjustments)

I believe there are some points in the Wico?
-reccomended gap .022 w/ front piston 9/32" from TDC according to the manual. I dont really want to remove the head to check this though....?

Check/top off the gearbox and engine oil, lines, and the gen. block off.

I am seeing some of those special harley tools I need.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Glove!

Mags use a much smaller points gap, and plug gap as well. The .022" spec was for a common circuitbreaker ignition. I'd guess .015" and .020" but certainly there is someone lurking who knows for sure.

I think the flattened downtubes remained until they came out with the infernal Jubillee horn.

While the carb is off, you might save a lot of future tail-chasing by pressuretesting the manifold:
http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html
You only need a big cork with a hole in it, and a constant 15psi max; Be certain to wash the dishsoap off afterwards, as it is corrosive.

If you don't get any bubbles, you should be riding soon!

.....Cotten

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Glove,I happened across big twin top motor mount brackets in a JP Cycles catalog. the one on your frame,(and mine) is listed as a 48-52. Hope this is helpfull, also I believe the horn mounted on the horizontal strap with two holes in the wishbone area, also used for crashbar mounting...Mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:14 am

The crashbar mounted with two spool-like spacers to the brace at the apex of the two downtubes.
Horns mounted to tapped pieces of barstock welded to the downtubes, where flattened from mid-'49 on...

Or so I wuz told.

...Cotten

Glove
92 FXDC

Post by Glove » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Cotten- "downtubes, where flattened from mid-'49 on... "
My tubes are not flattened in a mannor that I am familiar with.
They look pretty rounded to me. :? Am I back to thinking this is an early 49 frame?
When was the Jubillee horn put into use?

I think I have one of the horn mounts- I think it is being used to hold a cable on the left side of the frame (clutch cable I think)
Momscamera059.jpg
*I got the tanks cleaned out. Going to see what the carb looks like today.

Panacea- Thanks for the upper engine mounting bracket info, I would have guessed this piece to be something fabbed under the shade tree when this thing was being assembled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Glove!

You are right, they are not flattened.
The clip is for the advance control.

The horn changed in '54, so you must inspect the crossmember where the front of the motor sits: It was beefed up for the later frames.

....Cotten

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 am

did ya get her to fire?

john :P

Glove
92 FXDC

Post by Glove » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 am

Well I didnt have a chance to touch the bike today John, between wrenchen on autos for cash and teaching scuba class this evening I just didnt have time.

I could use some ideas for the points and plug gap. Cotten, you say .015 and .020.... your talking points yes? What would be a good number for the plugs on the old 45?

can I set the timing or check it w/ out pulling the head? Would be nice to verify the mag is setting in there correctly.

Tomorrow will be pretty tollerable to be tinkering w/ the bike. Ill drop in in the AM to see if anyone has some advise.

Thanks again guys!

Return to “Identification”