Cylinder casting numbers and letter

Information on the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
plc6944

Cylinder casting numbers and letter

Post by plc6944 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Greetings,
I am a newbie to this forum and this is my first of probably many postings. While reading through past threads, I noticed that a few members were asking about the significance of the casting letter and number tag. I am currently restoring my 62 Pan and realized that my rear cylinder is an aftermarket item. So wanting to find the period correct cylinder, I started researchingthe meaning of the casting marks. I contacted Joe Kempen, President of Motor Casting Company, for an answer. This was his reply:

The alpha code I believe does indeed reflect the month of the year. To this day we use an alpha code for the month of manufacture. We do not use the letter I because it is too easily confused with the number 1

A January
B February
C March
D April
E May
F June
G July
H August
J September
K October
L November
M December

The next characters reflect the day of the month, and I believe the dash number is the last digit of the year. Are current heat dates are changed some a sample of today's would be 5C08 for 2005, March 08. We do in fact change the day every day we pour castings.

Hopefully, this information will be of some value to the many members.

Roadside1

Re: Cylinder casting numbers and letter

Post by Roadside1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:17 pm

Well ya done done did it to me. lmao!
Here's some cylinder numbers, and I been tryin' to figure out what year they are. J 9-3, and J 28-3. Whatcha think now? lol Any clue? If so, it'd be very much appreciated, if you'd tell me! Thanks.
Roadside ;)

Roadside1

Re: Cylinder casting numbers and letter

Post by Roadside1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:25 pm

And just one more thing, since I don't yap much..I feel this is my day...lol On each casing, I also find a mark: An "M" with a "C" in it, all in a circle, which is part of the casting. What the heck's that stand for? Thanks again.
Roadside

Return to “Identification”