DL Flathead identification

Information on the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
bill8080

DL Flathead identification

Post by bill8080 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:12 pm

ok, another question on the 1935, don't know if these are the original gas tanks but it has a right hand shift. all I have seen are left hand shift, anyone know what model this might be? or did they make both back then? You will have to for give my ignorance as I'm new to this old stuff.

Thanks
bill

Billy

Re: DL Flathead identification

Post by Billy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:52 am

Hi Bill-

HD's & Indians could be ordered w/shifters on either side. (especially for Police Depts use..) My flatty is a Right shift & left throttle..
Can be an adjustment, but ya get used to it.. ;D
Does it have wheels on it ?? If so, what side (as U sit on it) is the rear sprocket ?? That can be helpful.
Also, on the frame does it have 2 down-tubes from the neck, or just 1 ??

bill8080

Post by bill8080 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Sleeper, Frame has one down tube, and there is no rear wheel but the drive chain is on the right side also, but the engine and tranny are from a later year servicar.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:22 am

Bill-

Ok, that would make it a DL45" or an RL45" flathead
All 45's had single downtube frame, & R side drive chain, even "G" model Servi-cars (Trikes)
Here's a link to the BEST info around for the Early 45's..http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/manual.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Identification”