Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

late production '65 panhead?

Information on the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
rusty_apache
Bikes: '65 fl

late production '65 panhead?

Post by rusty_apache » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm

It came to me through my dad, with 1966 5 gal. tanks. The only thing the previous owner knows is it came from Mexico in the 1970's with those tanks on it.

Could it be that some of the very last ones off the line had the 1966 tanks?
thanks,
-kevin

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: late production '65 panhead?

Post by RUBONE » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 pm

I say NO. That would have involved more than just changing tanks. More likely that it was done in Mexico at some point. I've seen lots of Mexican police bikes as well as civilian and they just put whatever worked on them. JMHO
Robbie
And did it come from Mexico or New Mexico as my old '65 had a '66 right tank and '67 left tank on it? That's how I put it together! Of course it also had a Shovel top end!

rusty_apache
Bikes: '65 fl

Post by rusty_apache » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:44 pm

RUBONE wrote:I say NO. That would have involved more than just changing tanks. More likely that it was done in Mexico at some point. I've seen lots of Mexican police bikes as well as civilian and they just put whatever worked on them. JMHO
Robbie
And did it come from Mexico or New Mexico as my old '65 had a '66 right tank and '67 left tank on it? That's how I put it together! Of course it also had a Shovel top end!
Old Mexico.
I have a 1956 Zundapp Bella scooter from Mexico, and it was running a Lambretta stator, and flywheel crammed in where Zundapp normally used an armature. So I realize a lot of Hog abuse went on in Mexico, and it's very likely that it was simply switched out in the 13 years it spent down there.

I also own a 1952 VW Beetle that came from the Wolfsburg factory with the correct split rear window, but with a 1953 style dashboard. They also came off the line the opposite way. VW nuts affectionately call them Zwitters. So it seems to me that manufacturers are going to use up their parts stock, regardless of correct chronology. Maybe HD was more saintly, and never fudged on things like that.
Oddly, my Pan has a VIN around 65FL840O, and the production figure for '65 was something like 7,500 or so. Maybe the VINs started at 1,000, and not 0001? Maybe those production figures were only for domestic models?
It also has the small starter relay under the battery like a '66 model. That also could have been upgraded sometime before 1979, when it was restored.
Either way, I have both '65 and '66 5 gal tanks ready to repaint.

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 pm

To the best of my recollection, the starter relay was a mid 66 thing, therefore an untouched 65 would not have come from the factory with relay. This is not to say that it could not have been added at a later time. H-D was pretty good at using up existing parts inventories. The parts books cannot always be trusted and early production models are sometimes different from later production units. 66 right tank and 67 left tank would make easy to run 2 carbs if one had the inclination....bosheff

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Kevin, I agree with Robbie. I don't think a late-65 would have had 66 tanks.

Quote: "Oddly, my Pan has a VIN around 65FL840O, and the production figure for '65 was something like 7,500 or so. Maybe the VINs started at 1,000, and not 0001? Maybe those production figures were only for domestic models?"

Although Harley states the info in their book The Legend Begins is not to be regarded as totally accurate, the production figures for 1965 Panheads are given as follows: 2,130 FLs; and 4,800 FLHs. Panhead serial numbers for 1965 began at 1001 and the even-odd code was in place so serial numbers ran high.

If you've got a 1965 Panhead and the first character in the sequential portion of the serial number is 8 then that doesn't comply with the even-odd code. Harley used the even-odd code for 1960–69 and for an odd year when there are four sequential characters in the serial number then the first of those four cs should be odd, not even. I’m interested in seeing a photo of your serial number to see if it’s an exception to the rule. And there may also be another logical explanation. Can you post a photo of your serial number? Eric

Return to “Identification”