Add your location to the members map. It's now possible to add your location to the map yourself. See the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15375

STD heads: cam lift, duration and other specs Shovel specs

Top End (cylinders and heads)
55FL

STD heads: cam lift, duration and other specs Shovel specs

Post #1 by 55FL » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:06 am

This falls under the realm of idle curiosity but.... I was wondering... with the design of the STD heads do the cam lift, duration and other specs follow the stock Pan or more closely approximate the Shovel specs ?
Just one of those things that makes me wonder.

John

King

Re: STD heads: cam lift, duration and other specs Shovel specs

Post #2 by King » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:03 pm

John

Good question. I assume that since the STDs use the stock Pan rockers that the rest of the cam/valve train specs remain ala Pan, but i could be wrong. It will be good to hear from the more experienced members on this one.

King

panomania

Post #3 by panomania » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:57 pm

the heads i bought did not come with the rocker arms, i used the ones off my 50 model heads. so i assume the lift with the push rods adjuster correctly wouldnt change anything. i bought mine with shovel type intake manifold and valves. i like em...panp

mbskeam

Post #4 by mbskeam » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:28 am

Hello,
the valve lift is pan specs, the ports on my stock style std's are diff from stock heads. this what the exhaust port looks like.
the intake is the same but it also has a raised floor on the intake side ( bigger ports do not mean it will run better)

best money I've spent
mbskeam

kell

Post #5 by kell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:18 am

You can run a cam with up to .550 lift with the STD pan heads. http://www.stddevelopment.com/

Rammy

Post #6 by Rammy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:21 am

I just put on a set of the plumber intake STD heads on my 51. the thing I noted with the shovel sized intake is that their is very close valve to valve clearance with cam overlap. pans rocker ratio is more than on shovels so I would be wicked careful with to much cam... I figured a good way to check this : put a bright light up to the exaust spigot and look in the intake port then turn over very slowly until the valves are at their closest point , then take a 8 inch long piece of welding rod you know the stuf like coat hanger , bend it to look like a hockey stick so you can put it down the plug hole like a feeler gage . before you stick it in put it flat on an anvil or the like and hammer it a little at a time until you can just slide it between the valves , when it fits then mic it and you will have your clearance. with the Andrews J cam I have .070 between the valves.
Any body know if the J cam would work ? I think .050 is the lower limit....
Rammy

I ment the A cam , any body know if that would go
Rammy

mbskeam

Post #7 by mbskeam » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:23 am

hello,
I run the A grind and have not had a problem, I think .060 is the safe min. I would not go any smaller on this clearance,OR

A: you would be left on the side of the road crying as you pick up your bent and busted parts left all over the road,

B: or maybe just a bent valve or two,

but if you have the luck I have it would be A.........

mbskeam

Rammy

Post #8 by Rammy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:41 pm

I here the A cam has much better all around performance than the J
What do you think ?
How does performance compare from old heads to STD heads?
I have my ride all back together and running sweet but don`t think it would be a good idea to test ride it in the snow we just got! Head are a work of art ;D
Rammy

mbskeam

Post #9 by mbskeam » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:50 am

hello,
well I like the cam I have.I use to run a sifton 412 I liked it also, between the two it did start a little better. but that is the trade off of more valve lift. the 412 I think had a bit more low end, mid was the same, but when the engine gets to mid and up the A starts to hump.
The 412 and J are kinda close on specs but are diff. its more like a smaller lift A grind
As for the diff. in head performance. that is to be seen as I only got about 1200 miles on the rebuilds rebuild (see spun cam bearing)I have not beaten it to hard YET, if it brakes I'll fix it that what machines are for. It does seem to start better,unless a crowd is around watching, well you know............
and up in the NW its been cold and icy, so no riding on the back roads I live on.I feel your pain on this.
mbskeam

Billy

Post #10 by Billy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:20 am

Mbskeam-
I agree w/ya the 412 has a little more on the bottom
But the A has it from mid & up . Much more IMO..

I remember your spun bearing pics. Glad you're back together again.

I've been getting some 'personal riding time' in myself.
My stroker is getting the "easy does it" break-in.
But I can already tell, It's got a lot more BALLS.. ;D
And sounds much stronger....Too ;D
Breaking-in miles are the hardest miles to put on.
But as you say, It's all Good !!

King

Post #11 by King » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:42 pm

Three years ago I converted to STD heads and have never regretted that decision. My original heads had pocketed and trashed valve seats that were way beyond another grind. So it was time for some radical change. My local guru strongly and wisely advised against steel inserts and at the time the valve seat build-up techniques were still in their infancy. So STD heads it was.
The boost in performance was amazing and the old dear has been running strong ever since. Also starting is much easier both cold and hot. Though I admit to an anal obsession with points gap and timing, cold starting is just a couple of squirts (Bendix) and a couple of kicks, and I can get three out of four hot starts on the first kick ( But you know that forth one still is a bitch!!).
I give STD an A+ on their excellent product and I hope their heads work as well for you as they have for me.

King

gordon

Post #12 by gordon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:34 am

Ordered a set of STD heads about a month ago , they should be ready to pick up in a few weeks . I ordered them with shovel O ring intakes,pan cyl. bolt pattern and 3 bolt exhaust flange, valves, springs,and rocker arm studs installed.............Pricey little suckers! The rest of the motor is almost done just waiting on the heads. I drove to there factory to place my order for these and walked in the back door of the shop by mistake and just stood there like a kid in a candy store. There were panheads EVERYWHERE! Boxes full of em' They even had sum cool shelving units made out of stacked bare panheads with boards on top for the shelves! And they were using them for door stops and paper weights too. javascript:adds(%22:o%22)

krazyloop

Post #13 by krazyloop » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:22 am

An Andrews A grind cam has a max lift of .470 and will fit right into shovel heads with no head work. It will not cause the valves to strike each other. In a shovel the lift is slightly less than in a pan and to be safe I had 3/32ths ground off the top of my valve guides in my pan. I used 10 to 1 stroker 80 pistons for 4.25 stroke and did not have a problem with valves striking each other, nor did the valves hit the pistons.
STD heads come with stock clearances for a .550 lift so you should have a lot of clearance with an A grind or any Sifton .468 series for that matter. STD will give you more clearance if you ask them to. You cannot use a Sifton .468+ in motors much less than 90 inches because the duration is so large. You won't have that problem with an A grind. On the other hand, because the duration is much less than a .468+, I suspect an A grind may not be enough cam for a 90 inch or bigger motor.

65flh5326

Post #14 by 65flh5326 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:00 am

I have read with wonder and amazment about problems cutting out the bronze panhead seats and pressing in steel seats.
I have done this to at least 100 sets in the last 26years. Not once has a seat fell out.
It is a pain in the ass to do it, and there is judgement involved.
I also would never put shovel intake valves in panheads.
The only time I have seen problems doing this is when automotive shops do it, they just dont know aircooled engines.

Don

grottorian

Post #15 by grottorian » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:42 am

I have STD dual plug heads. They have a problem with the exhaust valve guide leaking oil out the front pipe. I'm running a B grind cam. Ive got a 1000 miles on the engine. Gotta pull the head cause of the oil problem.

Return to “Top End”