Vtwin Mfg piston orientation

Top End (cylinders and heads)
iflybyu
Bikes: 2010 Custom Build
1964 Panhead Basket case

Vtwin Mfg piston orientation

Post by iflybyu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi and thanks in advance.

I am installing some cast vtwin mfg pistons and have a question. On the top of the piston there is a circle indent to one side. Is this indent there to aid in proper orientation? If so does it go to the cam side or the sprocket side.

thanks

Mike

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Vtwin Mfg piston orientation

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Its been a long time since I've encountered V-Twin pistons, but if my memory hasn't failed me their instructions tell you to look on the bottom of the piston, there should be a tang on one side where the wrist pin goes through, that tang goes to the right, cam side. I believe the small circle indent on the top is on the same side but you need to look on the bottom to make sure. I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how they go.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, the dot on the top of the piston is oriented to the right (cam side). As Huaala Pan mentioned there is also a raised tang on the underside of the piston where the wrist pin passes through to use as an indicator for proper orientation - tang to the right. I've got a set of the 8.5 to 1 pistons on the bench that are going into a motor later today.

Geo.

iflybyu
Bikes: 2010 Custom Build
1964 Panhead Basket case

Post by iflybyu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you for the info, really appreciated.

mike

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Heads”