Feeding Heads

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Feeding Heads

Post by Schwee »

With a '57 lower end and '64 top end, I've been feeding the outside oilers directly from the oil pump for the last 20+ years.
Doing a cleanup now.
I have a Knucklehead cam cover installed (soon to be stripped and polished).
Can I feed the heads from the "oil feed" on the top of the Knuck cam cover? Will that get enough volume/pressure?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Feeding Heads

Post by 58flh »

You can run your oil up to the heads from the old 8-finn.--My concern is that it is in the same feed as pinion gear feed to bottom.--I have always tapped to the sender or pressure switch when doing this.--I always worried about robbing the bottom-end of a little oil when holding a steady 60 to 70MPH!. Again I feel the sender is a better option for the feed!--Im sure oil will get-up to the heads from the cover/ but I just leary about robbing peter to pay paul so to speak!---Ofcourse this is olny 1-opinion & Never had a problem running as you have had it in the past!---Hopefully others will chime in & give you there results on taping from the cover!---After all it is a FEED!---Respectfully---RICHIE

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Factory overhead oiler covers take the feed off of the same passage as the pinion feed with no ill effects. Roller bearing lower ends need only small amounts of oil to survive, not like a plain bearing crank. And the intermittent flow through the pinion allows plenty of volume to be sent up top. I often ran Shovelhead tops on my Pan lowers and always fed off the cam cover, even with strokers spinning high RPMs.
Robbie
My '56 Pan with Shovel top and Knuckle cam cover circa 1973.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I've got an old chopper, a 1941 panhead (or is it a '59 knuck?) with a similar method of feeding oil to the top end.

The motor is a knucklehead lower end with a panhead top end grafted onto it. The cylinders/heads are not 1963-65 outside oilers, I've forgotten what the date code is, but they once had plumber-style intakes that were converted to O-rings.

In order to provide oil supply to the top end, the motor guy who built this motor back in the 1960s simply tapped and threaded the bottom of the oil galley in the cylinders, and fabricated a slick little 'T' oil line out of stainless steel, and fed it from the same supply fitting as the knucklehead oil line. Now, bear in mind, this was done in the late-'60s or early-'70s before I bought the bike in 1974. I've had the bike ever since then, and put thousands and thousands of trouble-free miles on this motor in the past 40 years.

I'm attaching a couple photos that I just took this morning, to show how this was done--- and I realize your application is somewhat different, I'm just showing that I have personal experience with this, and I've never had any issue at all with oil volume/supply to the heads.

Because of that, it would be my opinion that there's enough oil supply from the knucklehead top-end supply to satisfy the oil demands of your '64 top end.

I also found some interesting old discussion on this topic in the archives:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Tom, this looks to have been fabricated at the Hanford site!

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

UPSROD wrote:Tom, this looks to have been fabricated at the Hanford site!
LOL....! Were you there, Rod...??
I think you knew my old friend Ivan who did the fabricating. (R.I.P.)
That guy taught me a lot of stuff, not just about motorcycles, but also about motorcycling. If you know what I mean......

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Schwee!

Feeding from the cover works, and it ain't so ugly.
Unless you use flexible hose.

....Cotten

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Nice bike Rubone. The young-uns today would be beating your door down trying to get at that.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Thsnks to Bigincher--Cotton--Robbie for letting me know that its OK for tapping into the covers oil-galley!--I was always worried bout the intermittent feed.--So I been using the senders-hole for oiling shov-heads on earlier cases!.--This is why this site kicks ASS!--No matter howlong you do something theres always MORE TO LEARN!---RICHIE 8)

Return to “Lubrication System”