Cam Spec. Questions

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Cam Spec. Questions

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 am

This thread has definitely gotten off track from my original question about the FL & FLH profile specs. But to add to Ingram & Cotton's discussion of the, "H" marking I would add that it would also depend on if you're talking about an original old HD MOCO cam or an after market Andrews, as Andrews now makes an, "H" cam that is identical to the original FL cam. I don't know much about the original FLH or how they were marked but think the, "HL" was something different, more like a high performance option or something. The only, "HH" I know of are the Sifton HH and +HH cams from the old sportsters.
(As for my original question of the specs. for the FL & FLH cams, that was answered & I thank you.)
Now that I have found that Andrews makes the H cam patterned after the original FL I just need to decide weather to go with that or their J cam which I believe is a bit hotter than the FL & a bit tamer than an A grind. So I guess that will start a new debate...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Forgive me for perpetuateing a hijack, Folks,

But I hope somebody has the time to put a degree wheel upon a stock Pan cam to see if indeed, it has the varied intake lobes.
My notion may be right, but now even I don't trust me.

I would have to learn how to degree a cam, (make another wheel, etc.), and right now the river has me commuting an extra hour to the shop: Record flooding closed the bridges.
Climate change has me distracted.. again....

Where is Kitabel when we need him?

....Cotten

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

It is NEVER a hijack Cotton!-& Robbie ,Ingram,& all who are captivated & need to know.---I recently Went thru my gearchest, A Good Brother had looked me out with a new-(old)-8-Finn cover!--My cover -(original since 58)-Really needs 3-bolt-holes worked-on for it to seal & not bleed!,You know the bottom -2 & 1-genny. Anyway after real close examination of the 8-finn It turned-out to really be in EX.-COND.!--I went thru every bushing,& The Few who know,been there,really wont get anything from this. But the EASTERN BERINGS that I Did the Cover with---The PINION-BUSHING,--OIL-HOLE NEEDS TO be elongated,After careful meas. With 3-JAMES-GASKETS,--OUT of 3 -I had 1 GOOD-ONE.-Now let me add that THEY ALL WERE GOOD!--It is the top tit on the cover where it overlaps some!--Oil-HOLE is DEAD-ON ALL!. But when you bolt-up for measuring & roll-over with premarking bushings with a sharpie & rolling over a few, Take a dial-ind. reading & it was TIGHT for my liking with the BERINGS oil-hole lined-up. My exact size cut into my -(volume supply)-of oil!--Pressure has nothing to interfere with . I needed a .100 more to bring me to OPTIMUM CLEARENCE Where I Was Comfertable.-(there goes HALF A HOLE COVERED on PINION-FEED!)-Elongate the hole--Bolt-up again & Re-Measure Everything!--Nedded Another Puul-off & -Scraping could actually start happening of Bushing!--I had to reuse the gasket again, sooo It had to count. With plenty of ciggaretts & Taking my time The real-process of fitting the bushing to where I would be comfortable!. Awhile later I arrived at a real good FITTING!.--Now the first time I rolled the motor over with cover in place THE PINION was COVERED in oil AS It SHOULD have to be.--(this is where the careful OILHOLE MUST BE PERFECT!--IF you want OIL!!!.--The PUMP is stock with stock gearing--(MORE then enuff.)--Since I had a real-nice cover it was worthy of my FLH CAM, that I hoarded in a sockdrawer, many offers to buy!.--I have removed the J-CAM!--not because it sucked, by far from a DUD!. So the cam-bushing was part of all above as well!--The bushing in the cover-(cam)-I could have run!--It was right to manual specs. where I wanted a little tighter!.--It starts & runs BEAUTIFULY!--I forgot how-much this cam KICKS-ASS!.--The KICK is back to where I remembered-it. A 1-kick bike I need!.It has the Alyup-back on comp.-stroke. Anyway I had a few cams in her over the yrs. & the J & STOCK-FLH CAM are keepers!.--My next PROBLEM is the DRAG-PIPES!--A thumbscrew Helps ALOT !-Then just a hole!.--But I want a better more stock type!,-2-into 1??-Im not-sure??--Will let you gentlemen know!--Hope this sheds light if your at this stage in your build.----RICHIE 8) --(FLH CAM IS SWEET, you forget when you get use to something else!)-----

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Correction: Andrews IS NOT re-making the stock FL cam as an, "H" they said they just listed it's profile for reference and used the letter H. However V-Twin IS selling what they are listing as a Stock FL cam and also an FLH cam under the Sifton name, however I would question if these are of the Old Sifton quality...

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Hulapan!---That is CORRECT!--& the QUALITY sad to say,-will never be what once was!--Guys Hoard those cams for good reason!---I been trying to get a used-one Sifton for awhile!---Nobody will PART & I dont blame them!--I sat on my stock FLH cam, & had a few spinning under ms, & the J & FLH are the finest you can run! --FOR OEM HEADS!.--IF Aftermarket heads are used---that is a whole nuther can-o-worms!---I almost forgot how nice the FLH FEELS!--I need a GOOD EX. as soon as possible!---Good-luck---RICHIE 8)

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”