distributor gear ground up

Advice need

All Panhead related topics
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

distributor gear ground up

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 am

I was riding along and the bike shut off. As I looked over the problem, I noticed my distributor was turned almost a 180 degrees
and the wires was pulled out. I thought I had not tightened the clamp. Got it home and discover a screw had fallen out of the
optical sensor, locked up the distributor which ground up the gear which we nt into my motor. The question I have,is there away to flush out the metal shaving,or do I dissemble the motor

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
76 FLH Original Paint
08 CVO Road King

Re: distributor gear ground up

Post by PanPal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm

The cam cover needs to be removed for inspection and to flush it.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Fortunately, when the dizzy disintegrated the engine quit running, and the debris should all be in the cam chest, as PanPal indicated, but you should consider that some of the trash may have made its way into and maybe even through the oil pump. If you have a functioning oil filter than the migration of crap should stop there, if not , then an oil change will be in order too. Another reason why an oil filter is mandatory..... Better save than sorry....

My true life experience: Big inch Evo lifter rollers failed, but the engine was still running and trashed both the cam and the Jim's oil pump. I cleaned and flushed the cam chest. Replaced the lifters, cam, and OP. Flushed the oil tank, and lines, + a new spin-on filter. Been running fine now for over 8 years with no issues..... The filter probably caught everything that passed through the pump.
....RooDog....

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks guys. The bike did run down the road a bit. I was using the clutch hope it would come back to life.
The good thing is I do have a spin on filter, that's one in my favor. The cam cover is coming off and let the cleaning begin
Thanks You,
Eric

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Just a note for the general reader here who mite not know.....
Back off the lifter adjusters and remove the pushrods before attempting to remove that cam cover.....

Don't ask how I learned this lesson....

As the cover is moving off of the two dowels, about a quarter of an inch, reach down inside with a large screwdriver and gently pry the cam back into battery so that it does not come out with the cover. If you have not destroyed the gasket, use heavy grease not sealer, and NEVER a silicone product, the gasket may be reused.
....RooDog.....

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Answered your own question................. :roll:
Eric wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 am
I was riding along and the bike shut off. As I looked over the problem, I noticed my distributor was turned almost a 180 degrees
and the wires was pulled out. I thought I had not tightened the clamp. Got it home and discover a screw had fallen out of the
optical sensor, locked up the distributor which ground up the gear which we nt into my motor. The question I have,is there away to flush out the metal shaving,or do I dissemble the motor

Return to “Panhead”