major engine repairs

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

major engine repairs

Post by drinner-okc »

I bought a custom Pan 2 years ago, knowing it was built with whatever parts were available.
(search Johnny Cash in the gallery). Last fall it threw a wrist pin keeper in the rear cylinder,
scored the wall & I had to tear it down. It WAS built with whatever was available, even the flywheels were 2 different generations. Anyway, I'm changing the L/H case to a 53 OEM, and
the right already had major repairs. The area at the back mount had been blown out, and when repaired was not flat, and missing the scraper. It was my worst oil leak.
These photos show a tool built to center a case half in a rotary vise, and the cases being
machined flat & the lip & scraper repaired. The tool will fit any style bearing race or insert.
3 hours set-up time and a half hour making chips.
first the L/H case on the tool the first time, then a sleeve added to support the case level by the cast-in insert.
The vise on the mill table, center the tool then check the race OD, check the mating surface
for level, tighten like heck.
Cut just enough to clean the inside lip with a 3/4 cutter, then use a 3" to deck mating surface. Last plunge cut inside scraper lip. Measure OD inside lip surface.
Swap cases & go thru set-up, set cam cover gasket area on parallels & shim stock to level
mating surface, recheck center, recheck level.
Cut OD of protruding lip .001" smaller than L/H case, lip .001" shorter than depth.
Cut bottom side of scraper to original ID, plunge inside edge (razor sharp)
Inside area will need some hand finishing, from vent up to breather cavity is not concentric.
Last, fit them together, we took out about .003" to .004" material, after cases are bolted
and set up, we'll bore cylinder spigots round, and match motor mount surfaces.
At least we know case races are inline.
Attachments
they fit together snug. we took .004" next we'll bore spigots
they fit together snug. we took .004" next we'll bore spigots
100_1246.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
mating surface finished &amp; scraper<br />ID, ready to plunge-cut inside scraper
mating surface finished & scraper
ID, ready to plunge-cut inside scraper
100_1245.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
R/H case after welding lip &amp; scraper<br />fixed earlier was my worst oil leak
R/H case after welding lip & scraper
fixed earlier was my worst oil leak
100_1244.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
cut step first, then flange<br />groove is from earlier piston mis-hap
cut step first, then flange
groove is from earlier piston mis-hap
100_1240.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
center tool, verify on race. level<br />on existing flange
center tool, verify on race. level
on existing flange
100_1238.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
L/H case on tool for first time<br />centers in rotary vise
L/H case on tool for first time
centers in rotary vise
100_1234.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

VT

Re: major engine repairs

Post by VT »

Don't mill those tappet block decks anybody ! That would change the indexing for the intake manifold.

superdave2112
Bikes: 1950 EL

Post by superdave2112 »

VT wrote:Don't mill those tappet block decks anybody ! That would change the indexing for the intake manifold.

With all due respect, WTF are you talking about? :?:

We machined the case mating surfaces. We still have to machine the cylinder deck area, as the case halves are strangers until now. Then we have to make the spigot holes round again.

What on earth does the tappet deck area have to do with the intake? :roll:

Always most respectfully yours,

David
DCL TooL Co.

VT

Post by VT »

It won't affect the alignment of the manifold unless the cylinder decks are milled. Lowering the decks would change the "V" angle of the cylinders that the intake manifold meets up with. Milling the heads too much would do the same thing.
The deck of the crankcase is indexed for the length of the push rods, sort of, push rods are adjustable after all. But, as printed in (Vol. 1 , pg. 78) it reads: " A special jig is required to index (geometrically align) the cylinder and tappet guide decks, from the exact center of the flywheel" - Stett (or God depending on how bad you need his expertise.)
That jig is something I have no part number for, but when we wrote the book, I was told there is a jig, and to "move on with other information", basically. The indexing would have to do with the angle of the pushrod's trajectory to the rocker arms.

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

VT, don't worry. We're not going to get radical here. These 2 case halves were strangers
last month. Now that the mating surfaces fit snugly, and were cut concentric from
the mainshaft races, we will procede with caution.
The next steps will be to insert the case studs (using alignment studs in the holes designated) and tighten, Then we will machine the motor mounts. The R/H (cam) side
had been machined before as that corner of the case had been blown-out. Then I'll assemble
an empty motor & check in the frame. If it requires more than a couple thousandths shimming, we'll just trim the high places. Then we'll line lap the main bearing races.
then we'll bore the spigot holes. We took about .004" total from the mating surfaces,
we measured the holes front/back & side/side, there is a minor difference, but side/side
is just a couple thousandths smaller than an OEM cylinder. then we'll set-up on the low
side and match the deck to it. (we don't know yet IF there is a low side, it won't catch
a fingernail.
DCL Tool also employs a H-D certified, MMI graduate with close to 20 years experience
that has ridden Knucks, Pans & early Shovels most of his adult life. In the shop now
are a 36E (he removed the blind races and installed 39-54 style) 51FL (not one broke fin,
or buggered thread, I swear when we tore it down it was a trip thru History) my 53FL,
59FLH (someone ruined the heads installing o-ring manifold inserts) a 74/74 Shovel.
Definitely mine is not his first rodeo.

superdave2112
Bikes: 1950 EL

Post by superdave2112 »

Hey, let's not go spreading around that Mickey Mouse Institute thing. They don't teach what they used to, as I hear it... Don't want to get a bad rap this early on the forum.

Rodeo; I can tell by your outfit, that you are a cowboy....

VT,

Properly machined, the angle of the decks will not change, just the height. Yes, the area between the heads (where the gas sucking, holder-thing-a-ma-bob goes) will decrease. Maybe .005" to .010" at the most. Usually, that's a good thing, what with wear, time, and whatnot. If not, the manifold can always be shortened a little. It's no big deal. Worth every bit to keep a fine old turd going down the road. You should have seen the manofold that flew out of the lathe that time. Now there's a funny story... Aftermarket crap!!! But I digress....

Always most sincerely yours,

David

Return to “Projects”