Pics of my project WL

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
sunnydog1
Bikes: 1981 FLH
1949 WLR UBuild

Pics of my project WL

Post by sunnydog1 »

1949 45" WL in late model rigid frame. 1978 4 speed conversion. Hope ya'll like it.

45brit

Re: Pics of my project WL

Post by 45brit »

interesting bike. Chopper seat is a matter of taste.

I've never really seen the point of going to a Big Twin transmission, especially with a mousetrap. A British trans will handle anything a 45 will ever produce, much cheaper and much lighter. Seeing as it's a custom frame anyway, mountings aren't an issue and nor is originality. Anyway, matter of individual tasate.

like the tank, very original

sunnydog1
Bikes: 1981 FLH
1949 WLR UBuild

Post by sunnydog1 »

Thanks for the comments Brit. Yes, I've been told before that pre-unit brit trannys are a great partner for these motors, but I had the 4 speed from a rolling chassis I bought.
Someday I hope to use this motor in an orginal application; but as my first ground up build I'm excited about this little bike. The tank was inspired by pics of old British bikes, like my dad's Ariel 500 which he rode back in the 50's.

45brit

Post by 45brit »

well yes, if you have the trans then go with that. I would guess that it avoids at least two problems with 45 motor / British transmission combinations...

1) British transmissions aren't built to accomodate 5.00 x 16" rear wheels, so you need to accomodate an offset of about 35mm somewhere in the drivetrain if you are using a Harley back wheel and the motor centreline centred in the frame. This isn't a huge problem but needs allowing for.

2) if you are using a belt primary, then you will have a Hayward clutch or something similar. This gives you a maximum belt width of about 45mm. This is no actual problem technically, it is more than sufficient for anything the 45 will put out; but you will be unlikely to be able to match belt profiles between the common US belt conversions for Harleys and the usual British type conversions. I had this problem on my project and ended up making a special pulley using a 45 sprocket centre and a pulley from 45 Parts Depot. Expensive exercise!

3) if you are using a chain primary with a British clutch, there are no common chain sizes, so you will end up making some sort of special sprocket whatever you do. Actually there is at least one combination which you sometimes see, but it isn't right.

4) British clutches generally have sprockets around 43-44 teeth, very different from the HD unit. Gearbox sprocket is usually 17-19 teeth, maybe as small as 15 teeth for sidecar use. This is usually combined with a rear wheel sprocket significantly larger than the HD one, so you have to look at your overall gearing carefully, because you aren't likely to have a selection of primary sprockets to experiment with. Again, this is a well-known problem and the answers are fairly straightforward, but it has to be accomodated .

Return to “Projects”