single fire problem

All ignition related articles
6 pack
Bikes: 1952 pan
1960 pan
2001 twincam

single fire problem

Post by 6 pack » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I have a mallory 557a ignision and 2 coils. All is set up for single fire but its seams to run dual fire still ( fires on front and rear at same time when i crank the engine)
Is it normal to run dual fire to the engine starts up ore is there some thing wrong ??????
Hope some one can give me some advice.. PLEASE :cry:

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: single fire problem

Post by Panacea » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 am

Some ignition systems will be dual fire while the starter is cranking, then revert to single fire. That's how my Dyna ignition worked on my 95 heritage.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm

6-Pack----Most Aftermarket singlefire work just as Mike said.In cranking mode its a wasted-spark & once fired its single.--Dont know why,,Anyone???-The olny true singlefire I know of is the Dual-point HD!--It dont matter what piston is on stroke -it lights-up all the time & very EASILY to!.-I played with the Dynas,Crane,Parts of this & that,& The mallory you mentioned should be dual on fire-up-Then single when lit.This confused the hell out of me to when I put my first singlefire (electronic)-Ig in.However there is I believe one of the dyna systems that are single when in single-fire mode & duel in factory mode.I forget which one ,Im sure sombody will chime in& lend a hand!--When your running you are in SINGLE MODE correct?-----They go to dualfire on start-up so starters dont turn & turn,ya get the pic./Factory single was ahead of the times on that one!--Its nice to just find any 9-o-clock position & relax your leg & shes lit!--However the Ig curves are best left STOCK!-(UNLESS YOUR A CLOCKCHASER!)--I did find the crane Hi-4, nice for tuning rear cyl.-------Respectfully----RICHIE

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:44 pm

the vulcan looks nise and seems to run clean single fire but i cant figure out about i can adjust the advance and retard so it suits my bike ( starts like a dream when the retard is dial in and runs bedst when the advance is about 30 degrees)
the crane hi4 seems to run the wrong way around ore am i wrong ?

talldrifter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Post by talldrifter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 am

6 pack

I've had a Vulcan on mine since I bought it around 1999. The Pan was set up dual fire then, I bought a couple of coils and bracket at Vulcan's shop (I used to live 20 miles away) and ran it single fire. I don't recall any problems with the timer, although it has been sitting in my garage in pieces for 5 years do to leaks. I found the guys at Vulcan to be helpful.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 pm

6-PAK!----The last Crane Hi-4 was on a cone-shovel So problems there/I simply disconected the BRAIN-BOX,,another EPA Forced move!.And would put points or the Cranes in!---The bikes just came to life!--You actualy were able to rip rubber by just a twist on the wick!.--The last Hi-4 i put on a pan I just used a cheap auto-adv.-timer & just switched the 2-wires around & success!.But I rather use the stock timers!--(there made to LAST!)-& the Factory dual-point ig. is the best TRUE singlefire you can get for your pan!--(if wanting to use OEM Timers).----Respectfully----RICHIE

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:02 pm

58flh..
switching the wires might be the way, but dialing the ignition in is it on the rear cylinder then :?:

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 am

have ordet the vulcan unit but damn they are slow.
Ordert it almost 3 weeks ago, paid it and only now they tell me they was run out of units but will ship it to day.... WHAT ???
am a litle bit pist of. if i new that i didnt order it

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 am

58flh wrote:6-PAK!----The last Crane Hi-4 was on a cone-shovel So problems there/I simply disconected the BRAIN-BOX,,another EPA Forced move!.And would put points or the Cranes in!---The bikes just came to life!--You actualy were able to rip rubber by just a twist on the wick!.--The last Hi-4 i put on a pan I just used a cheap auto-adv.-timer & just switched the 2-wires around & success!.But I rather use the stock timers!--(there made to LAST!)-& the Factory dual-point ig. is the best TRUE singlefire you can get for your pan!--(if wanting to use OEM Timers).----Respectfully----RICHIE
I found one of those plastic timing hole plugs in my tool box the other day and thought I'd try it on my 64, I had to cut off about 3/8" so the threads would catch the ones in the hole fairly well. I sanded and polished the end so I could see thru the plug to view the timing mark. I wanted to first check the front cylinder mark to see if it was still good from when I set it a few years back and it was. I remembered I had to close up the gap on the rear set of points to .018 so the points would open just when the rear mark was in the rear half of the hole. I checked the rear cyl. with the lite as well and it was still perfect...

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm

Got the unit from vulcan and it runs great on my bike so i ordert one more for my wifes bike but this unit doesent fire on the front cylinder :evil: vulcan seems not to care after i have contactet them, the bad thing is i am living in europe so cant do any thing.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm

6-pak---On the Vulcan singlefires /Are their IG.-curves ADJ.??/I am not familiar with Vulcans ,But I looked them up & A lot of guys seem to love them.They look like a nice solid billet-unit!.If there are ADJ. curves -Use the Standard or factory curve as they may call it!---As you mentioned in a earlier post -(it ran best when full-adv. was 30 degrees!)-28 to 30 is great for any panhead that's street running.It sucks that they wont help you out with a e-mail or Skype or something.Are the installation instructions understandable?-I know some manufacturers are pretty vague.----Are the Vulcans full-time single??-or are they in dual mode when kicking??--Anybody?-I don't know.But If in dual-mode when kicking -this may be confusing you-As you may be thinking ok-im on a comp.-stroke & Nothing but a spitback or pop!/-But when on front cyl. comp. strike she fires.-Just throwing something out there as Im not familiar with the Vulcans Ig----I do know you need a fully charged batt. for all Ig. to work properly.--Respectfully---Richie

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm

The unit has fixt ignition so no adjusting and fancy curves , advance is like auto stock, only 3 wire, one for power one for front cylinder and one for rear cylinder.
If i want to run single fire i wire the coils with one wire and dual fire i wire both wires to same coil.
The first unit i ordert is now on my 52 pan and works great but the other unit i ordert for my 60 pan isnt good.
They are good to machine parts on cnc and thats it,
The dyna coils i bougt on their site wasnt dyna coils the Oring in the bracket for mikune to S&S intake cant resist fuel and gets bigger and bigger.

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Did you purchase with a credit card? If so, you might be able to get them involved to assist?

6 pack
1960 pan
2001 twincam

Post by 6 pack » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Jeps i did

Return to “Ignition”