Question on Shovel oil circulation systems?

All Shovelhead and other models topics
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Question on Shovel oil circulation systems?

Post by Frankenstein » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Greetings,
I've read alot about HD playing around with the oil output from the pump over the years in Shovels, I guess to improve flow to the lifters and keep them quieter?
Here's the story. Have a '69 generator shovel cases and want to know how the oil flows.
Maybe there's a schematic somewhere I've missed that explains it all, and that would be great.
Anyway, do early shovels have , one pump output that goes to the bottom end via a passage in the cam cover gasket area then to the bottom end , and also goes to the screen/filter? Does it then split to a upward passage and also to the two lifter block feed holes?
These cases have been apart and sat awhile, and I can't blow air through any orifice and get it to the lifter block feed holes. I don't really care in one respect, as I'll be running solids in this engine, but if there's a blockage somewhere now, I'm afread of it dislodging at the worst possible time with the worst possible results. Get my meaning?
Thanks in advance for the help,
DD

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Question on Shovel oil circulation systems?

Post by panhead » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Question on Shovel oil circulation systems?

Post by panhead » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:42 pm

@Frankenstein

Another:
Page_075.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shovelhead”