Buying Used Flywheels

All Panhead related topics
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Buying Used Flywheels

Post by michigander52 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 am

Have any of you had good results when buying used flywheels from eBay or other online sites? I recently purchased a set of complete flywheels for a 80" Shovelhead project I'm working on they are so out of true they will need to be broken down to see if they are even worth using. Maybe just taking them apart and re-truing will do the trick but I'm doubting the condition of the tapers.

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Re: Buying Used Flywheels

Post by RooDog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 pm

The flywheel being out of true should not be an issue as they should be disassembled for inspection, refreshed and put back together in spec so that there is absolutely no doubt about their condition. That crank assembly is the heart of the engine and everything else rotates around them. Their soundness and well-being are the basis for the rest of your build whether it be a stock resto or a big inch stroker, be sure your crank is sound. I have personally scored two stock 4.25 Evo cranks for my parts guy, who likes to build 100" FatVos based on Alan Sputhe's case kit, from eBay sellers at good prices and both were good bottom ends, but my bud does have his own truing stand and his labor is free which does tilt the pricing structure his way a bit..... RooDog

Return to “Panhead”