All Panhead related topics
awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Removing Main Drive Gear Bushing

Post by awander » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Any tips on how to remove this thin bushing from the gear?

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Re: Removing Main Drive Gear Bushing

Post by awander » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:52 am

I made up a "pusher", with a stem that fit inside the bushing, a collar that was just small enough to pass through the bore in the gear, and pushed them out with a small 3-ton arbor press.

Out of the 3 I did, one was stuck tight enough that I had to get it started with a hydraulic press. I was leery of this, as I had a gear split on me once, but I went real slow, and it started without the hydraulic press really straining....

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Andy I don't know how far along your are but there is a special Kent-Morse tool to remove and install that I will lend to you if ya haven't finished already. Another thing to look out for guys is the type of bushing on the market. The split one which is just like the original Clevis bushing and the there's a solid one piece. I just can't even entertain the idea of trying to press the solid thing in whether you put the gear in the freezer or not. Bob L

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 pm

The tool company is Kent-Moore, not Morse. And the bushing type is Clevite, a type of split usually steel backed bushing. Like the fork use as well.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Bob:
Thanks for the offer of the tool loan.
I just looked up the Kent-moore tool, and the tool I made looks a lot like it.
I'll let you know if I need to take you up on your offer.

Robbie:
Thanks for the additional info

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 am

Well, my tool worked just fine.

Now that I have the bushing installed, though, I have another question.

The bushing has some large grooves inside it, that start at one end, and go to about 3/8-1/2" from the other end. Then in that 3/8-1/2" long section at the other end, there is a coarse left hand internal thread.

Which end of this bushing goes out toward the sprocket, and which end faces inward?

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Which end of the bushing goes which way? Gee, that's a good question that is easily answered with a quick look in a Harley Service Manual, you do have one, now don't you? If not, get one, a genuine Harley book and not one of the knockoff Clymer, Chilton or Haynes manuals. If you have a Harley you MUST have BOTH of the appropriate Harley-Davidson published Service manual AND Parts books. This I have repeated many times and can not be over stressed, no?
BTW: The spiral groove goes toward the outboard, sprocket side..... Now, get it together and ride it like you stole it.....Best wishes.... RooDog....

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:03 pm

RooDog wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm
Which end of the bushing goes which way? Gee, that's a good question that is easily answered with a quick look in a Harley Service Manual, you do have one, now don't you? If not, get one, a genuine Harley book and not one of the knockoff Clymer, Chilton or Haynes manuals. If you have a Harley you MUST have BOTH of the appropriate Harley-Davidson published Service manual AND Parts books. This I have repeated many times and can not be over stressed, no?
BTW: The spiral groove goes toward the outboard, sprocket side..... Now, get it together and ride it like you stole it.....Best wishes.... RooDog....
Hi RooDog:

Thanks for the reply. You make a good point, but I have all of those documents. I looked several times, in the "1948-57 Rigid" service manual, the 1958-59 manual, the 1959-1965 Duo-Glide manual, and even the 1940-1947 manual before I asked the question.

I couldn't find any mention of which direction the bushing goes, or anything at all about installing it. Maybe I missed it; if you could point out where it is, I'd be grateful. It wouldn't be the first time I have missed something obvious...

I also did a search on this site, as well as looking in the Knowledge Base, and all I could find was a post stating that the grooves were directional and you should be able to figure it out by looking st them, that they were designed to keep the oil inside the transmission.

On the old bushings I removed, 2 out of 3 didn't have the spiral groove, and the one that did have it was installed as you said, with the groove toward the sprocket side. But if you think about it, a left-hand internal thread in that position will tend to move oil out of the bushing and out of the transmission, so what is the spiral thread there for?

(Oh, and BTW, I have the parts books as well. In fact, the 1941-1947 Parts Manual scan that is available for download on this site was provided by me...)

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Awonder....
Since this is a public site most of my answers are directed toward those other viewers who are monitoring our conversations. This is a good thing as it helps us all to learn about our beloved machinery.....
Just a few days ago i ventured to one of the local used book stores hoping to score Bill Rooks book on "How To Build A Harley Torque Monster" which seemed to me to be slightly over rated, but still has a bunch of good info. Any way, I also scored, for $10, the H-D Man for the '78 1/2-84 FL/FX models, and within those pages I found an illustration of the MDG bushing installed with the groove outboard. I've not taken the time to analyze the direction of the grooves, but they only come into effect in all but direct drive. Also I didn't see where the manual addressed replacing said bushing. I don't believe that extreme care is necessary in removing a worn bushing, but they must be carefully installed and fitted to the main shaft to minimize oil leakage. Harley must not have thought much of oil control as they didn't include a lip seal until 1965 when they went to the aluminum primary case. Also, if your mainshaft is worn any at all a new bushing my not be of much help..... DooDog

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

I see what you mean about the grooves only doing something when not in 4th gear.

I was analyzing it as if the input shaft was not turning-but of course, it IS turning, and turning faster than the MDG-so the relative rotation between the input shaft and the MDG is backwards to what I was thinking, and the grooves will tend to "screw" the oil back in to the bushing(towards the inside of the tranny).

Thanks!

Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Awander, I check the diameter of the mainshaft where the 4th gear rides, and usually find it tapers down a thousandth or two (sometimes 3!) towards the splines due to wear. I have saved most by having them ground/polished to the smallest diameter I measured, and reamed the bushing to .001"-.0015" clearance. Replacement bushings come .002"-.0025" undersize, so you may have to make one for anything under that. Beats having to throw away a otherwise good mainshaft. You can do the same to the kick gear portion, also. Most replacement bushings for the kick gear need honing/reaming anyway. Just remember to put the drip oiler on & adjust it to prevent it from burning out again! Doc
Last edited by Doc37W on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Doc37W wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 pm

The lines at the end go outward toward the seal.

Return to “Panhead”