Handlebar Control Options

Mousetrap Eliminator/brake master cylinder/too much junk on the handlebars

All Panhead related topics
Motocooney
Bikes: '48 Panhead 61"

Handlebar Control Options

Post by Motocooney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Hey guys. Working on a 48 Pan.

Wondering what you guys are running on yer bobbers?

I'm not concerned with stock look but I am concerned with keeping it clean and simple.

First, I'm planning on running a mousetrap eliminator.
Can I use whatever lever I want with the Vtwin kit?

And just buy the bracket and clutch arm that comes with the kit? Specifically, I'd like to use matching original style blade levers.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-83 ... r-assembly

Which leads to my next question.

I'll be running a newer springer with a disc brake setup.
I don't want a big bulky master cylinder on the bars.

Do u guys have experience with this remote cylinder kit?

http://www.fabkevin.com/shop/parts/brak ... -cylinder/

Just looking for maybe some pics of your setups and some advice.

Thx🤘🤘

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Re: Handlebar Control Options

Post by RooDog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Just my opinion, but I love the function and nostalgia of a mousetrap and am running one on my resto-modded '50 Panny. The eliminator clutches just never seemed to work right for me until the 5 Speed with the ball & ramp setup eliminated most of the frictional loss inherent is the old "eliminator" set ups. If you have a hot rod expect clutch problems that will suck a lot of money eliminating, thus eliminating money from your account.

Any clutch handlebar lever should work with about 1/2" of cable travel.

I too have run a remote front master cylinder to clean up the handlebars mounted behind the headllamp housing and cable operated from the right handlebar lever. Cable friction was also an issue there so a return spring at the MC was in order. Please bear in mind I dealt with both of these mods in the late 1970s, but having subsequently been a tech at the local HD Stealership I developed a respect for the "Factory Davidson" way of doing things, Remember, custom is pronounced "cussed 'em".... RooDog

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

RooDog wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Just my opinion, but I love the function and nostalgia of a mousetrap and am running one on my resto-modded '50 Panny. The eliminator clutches just never seemed to work right for me until the 5 Speed with the ball & ramp setup eliminated most of the frictional loss inherent is the old "eliminator" set ups. If you have a hot rod expect clutch problems that will suck a lot of money eliminating, thus eliminating money from your account.

Any clutch handlebar lever should work with about 1/2" of cable travel.

I too have run a remote front master cylinder to clean up the handlebars mounted behind the headllamp housing and cable operated from the right handlebar lever. Cable friction was also an issue there so a return spring at the MC was in order. Please bear in mind I dealt with both of these mods in the late 1970s, but having subsequently been a tech at the local HD Stealership I developed a respect for the "Factory Davidson" way of doing things, Remember, custom is pronounced "cussed 'em".... RooDog
You definitely have a ton more experience than I do. So I really appreciate the insight.

So far, most of my effort with building this thing has been focused on aesthetics😬

But, i guess I should prolly think about practicality and functionality.

I just think a big dopey brake cylinder on the bars will look out of place. And I'm already committed to the disc brake setup.
I've been looking for cool, retro-ish looking modern controls but can't seem to find anything that isn't tacky looking.

I am into the mousetrap setup but I dont have the cash for an original and I've read Some iffy reviews on the Vtwin kit.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:09 pm

The "Eliminator" at best is not the best solution. The routing is the crux of the functionality of the "Eliminator", has or should be a clean pull, no kinks, binds etc. You don't see many of them, because they render at times questionable results.
As For "Fab Kevins" sh&t, well made, and if your willing to go the extra fab mile, you will be satisfied..... "Point", clear pulls, will render desired functionality.

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Moto....
There are a lot of original mousetraps and pieces/parts on eBay. I even have an extra one but it is for the 1965-67 E-start as the stud for the pull rod is mounted just a little higher than on the '52-64 version which works with the long clutch arm across the top of the tranny. You should be able to put one together for a hunski, or less, and be ready to rock and roll. A mouse trap is infinity adjustable and can be tuned to work with most any configuration of 10 spring clutch, extra plates, heavy springs, what ever. And when you grow into a Rivera Primo Pro Clutch, you'll be shiftin' in high cotton....

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 am

Not remembering, what I do best, where I saw them but some British and customs use the reverse lever setups that have the pivot at the end of the handlebar, to work a cable inside the bars and exit at the middle of the handlebars. They look retro to be sure, and trick, and I'm certain I've seen them for sale as some sort of kit. Perhaps a Euro custom dealer? Maybe somebody here has a name for them to help you.

Another idea for you.

Andygears

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 am

Kind of an aside (although handlebar related) but what do you guys make of this?

New springer arrived today. Looks great, fits well. More or less.

Just dry fit in these pics and I'm missing the top dust shield which I'm gonna snag tomorrow.

Feels and looks like everything is as tight as it should be. No gaps or other glaring fitment issues.

Should the forks be shy of the top clamp? I'm seeing most risers are bigger than 1" at the base so they are meant to sit on top of the top plate. But if the fork is 1/2" down, doesn't this create a void?

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 am

Can't get my pics to post today. Very annoying.

Long story short...Samwel retro vintage style inline springer.

Fork tops are sitting about 1/2" down from flush. They are threaded for 1/2"-20.

Seems no bueno to me.

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:52 am

Andygears wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 am
Not remembering, what I do best, where I saw them but some British and customs use the reverse lever setups that have the pivot at the end of the handlebar, to work a cable inside the bars and exit at the middle of the handlebars. They look retro to be sure, and trick, and I'm certain I've seen them for sale as some sort of kit. Perhaps a Euro custom dealer? Maybe somebody here has a name for them to help you.

Another idea for you.

Andygears
Thx man. I saw those. Pretty slick. I've thought about ways to hide all the cables....and all the wiring.

Do u think putting euro style stuff on a '48 is sacrilidge?! lol.

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 am

RooDog wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm
Moto....
There are a lot of original mousetraps and pieces/parts on eBay. I even have an extra one but it is for the 1965-67 E-start as the stud for the pull rod is mounted just a little higher than on the '52-64 version which works with the long clutch arm across the top of the tranny. You should be able to put one together for a hunski, or less, and be ready to rock and roll. A mouse trap is infinity adjustable and can be tuned to work with most any configuration of 10 spring clutch, extra plates, heavy springs, what ever. And when you grow into a Rivera Primo Pro Clutch, you'll be shiftin' in high cotton....
Man, I've seen pieces here and there on eBay. I can't dig on the super beat to shit oem stuff!

That's the only stuff I can afford haha.

I think I'm gonna start piecing one together though. I think I have a couple of original mousetrap parts in the stuff I got from my dad's.

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Motocooney,
I plan on putting the mousetrap back on my 57 but I have not been inspired yet to take the time to do it. I took it off and replaced it with a mousetrap eliminator back in the 70's . If you want an easy pull, you need to use the later model shovelhead clutch plates & springs. Mine works effortlessly.
Sam

Motocooney

Post by Motocooney » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Scrap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 pm
Motocooney,
I plan on putting the mousetrap back on my 57 but I have not been inspired yet to take the time to do it. I took it off and replaced it with a mousetrap eliminator back in the 70's . If you want an easy pull, you need to use the later model shovelhead clutch plates & springs. Mine works effortlessly.
Sam
Sam,

I was planning on swapping out the clutch when I install the eliminator. If I decide to go that route.

Honestly the only thing keeping me from the mousetrap is the bulkiness of it clamped to the frame.

I like that there really isn't much to the eliminator.
There's nothing special about the lever that comes with the kit right? Meaning I can run whatever clutch lever I want?

Thx🤘

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 pm

As pointed out, the best lever will have the highest travel ratio. Barnett used to sell levers that worked well with eliminators due to the pivot location.

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 pm

RUBONE wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 pm
As pointed out, the best lever will have the highest travel ratio. Barnett used to sell levers that worked well with eliminators due to the pivot location.
I have a Barnett on mine. I didn't give it any thought when I bought it, its what they stocked at the shop where I bought it 45 years ago. It couldn't be easier to pull.

Return to “Panhead”