cylinders

All Panhead related topics
Hubbard
Bikes: 54 FLE, 49FL ,27JD,74FX all customs

cylinders

Post by Hubbard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Has anyone ever thought about or tried spray welding the inside of a wore out cylinder and reboring? I worked in a machine shop where they would use spray welding to build up a worn shaft and turn it back down. The cost savings over a new part was about 60%. And yes cast iron powder is available.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: cylinders

Post by Andygears » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 am

I have used that process to build up shafts and it works well. A limitation is thickness, so to bore out to say, .040 over, you would need to bore .050 over and ask for .020 buildup, then rebore to .040. . Now I have done this sort of thing in bores for machinery that get a pressed in roller bearing into the built up bore. In one case the bore was built up and when reboring to size, the coating pushed itself out like a thin wall sleeve.
So in theory, I guess you "could" do it to a cylinder, but two bore jobs and the cost of the coating, not cheap, and unknown results with piston rings scuffing the bore's crosshatch, wear characteristics, and thermal expansion/contraction leave a lot to think about. And if some of the coating broke free, ended up in the breather or gearcase, oil pump, or off the top and hung a valve open, I can see the potential for expensive damage.
Sleeving works well if done correctly and I think would be more cost effective.
An application for Harley's that might work well is a transmission main bearing case hole for the pressed in race. Once in, the race keeps the coating in place.

My two cents
Andygears

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: cylinders

Post by rigidpanman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:47 pm

have them sleeved and pinned

Return to “Panhead”