Panhead valve replacement Northern Kentucky Cincinnati

Looking for a shop that can replace my worn out bronze seats in the Northern KY Cincinnati area. Can drive to deliver. Any help here?

All Panhead related topics
ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou
Bikes: 1971 Piglet, 1962 FLH, 1942 WLA bob job, 1930 Indian 4

Panhead valve replacement Northern Kentucky Cincinnati

Post by ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:44 am

Looking for a shop that can replace my worn out bronze seats in the Northern KY - Cincinnati area. Will drive to deliver. Any help here?

And bore my 48-52 jugs to oil return back through the cylinders

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Re: Panhead valve replacement Northern Kentucky Cincinnati

Post by RooDog » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

WTF? All Pan and Shovels oil return through the cylinder drain holes, and then the Pans drain into channels in the left engine case ..... Is there something special you are looking for? RooDog

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:53 pm

WTF? All Pan and Shovels oil return through the cylinder drain holes, and then the Pans drain into channels in the left engine case ..... Is there something special you are looking for? RooDog
RooDog, only '48-'52 Pans drain into a channel in the case which leads into the breather cavity (and is in both cases), from '53 up the cylinders were drilled to drain directly into the bore and the channel was eliminated. I believe he is asking if someone can drill early cylinders (48-52) to function as '53 up type. Quite easy to do on your own.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:15 pm

A few years back, when I dropped a rear exhaust seat on my '52 FL, the consensus on this site was:

-The original bronze seats are flanged, and cast in place. This means they can;t drop out no matter how much the head expands with heat

-The seat that dropped was a replacement seat, and probably a hardened steel seat

-Steel seats are a bad idea in panheads because aluminum expands with heat at about twice the rate of steel, so steel seats need to be pressed in with a much greater interference than bronze seats would need, otherwise they will come out when the head gets hot. But that greater amount of interference will often crack a pan head, because it is pretty thin in the area of the exhaust seat

-Bronze seats are not available for pan heads

Don Sullivan (Head Hog) had a proprietary process for building up the existing bronze seats, but his wait time was over a year, and he didn't work cheap. (Don has actually passed away since then; I don't know if he "passed the torch" to anyone...)

I don't know if the situations has changed.

Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Contact TBone at Bon-a-fide Cycles in Pekin, IL. Last time he was doing engine work for me he showed his solution for the bronze seats, which I believe was cutting a new seat out of some bronze stock he had. I'm not sure if he perfected his idea/process but worth a call.

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Rubone....
Thank you for the info, My current 1950 has the cast in channels and matching jugs, The the replacement jugs I recently installed had holes drilled from inside the cylinders, like on a Shovelhead, for oil drainage. The first S&S stroker kit installed instructed that the factory drain holes be brazed shut, new holes drilled in a lower position in the cylinder, and then matching communication passages partially drilled in the engine case. Whew! That was in the late 1970s. Since then they forgo the brazing step with a steel sleeve pressed into the jug drain and then the case drilled for oil return directly to the crankcase for the flywheels to deal with. Sorry, I should not have assumed that all Pans were like mine. But I would offer that using the gasket as a locator and drilling a hole into the crankcase would do what our friend is needing done. Now, the valve seats, that is way beyond anything I have ever tackled, and the sourse for many horror stories.... Best Wishes to all RooDog

Return to “Panhead”