49 WL Parts Needed - Foot clutch assy, neck bearings, floorboards, speedo

49WL
Bikes: 1949 WL

49 WL Parts Needed - Foot clutch assy, neck bearings, floorboards, speedo

Post by 49WL » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello. I just picked up an original disassembled '49 WL, I feel like I won the lottery! They guy I bought it from tore it down to restore in '98, but he only got so far before putting it away. He had the motor and tranny rebuilt and the frame painted, then lost interest. This thing is all original but he lost a few parts over the years. I am so glad the dude never painted the tanks and fenders, you know what they say they are only original once, so I'm putting it together as is, unrestored, well except for the motor/tranny. These are the parts I need:
Foot clutch assembly - rocker, bracket, spring, cover, the whole 9 yards
Floorboards - Both of 'em
Speedo - Trying to keep from putting in a shiny new one
Neck bearings, cup, race
Shifter knob
Headlight
Trim around tombstone taillight
Tank insignia mount screws - Or a photo and dims would be great
I know there are reproductions of a lot of these parts and if I have to I will go that route, but this bike deserves to stay original.
That is all I know from the first go-around on an inventory. I might have a couple of things for trade, a Linkert, air cleaner assembly with cover, intake manifold, solo seat, solo seat mount, all original stuff, but not looking to sell it, just to trade.
I am doing my best, like I'm sure most of you do, to keep my bike as bone stock as possible.
Thanks much for any help. - Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Re: 49 WL Parts Needed - Foot clutch assy, neck bearings, floorboards, speedo

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Kewl, be happy.
Speedo, think I have one that is rebuilt, not restored. Will look..
Get your thick skin coat on, okay.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:31 am

I was the guy calling on it yesterday while you were buying it!! :mrgreen: Pictures of all the pieces will help get you figured out on what you have. And the bars are not '49, they are '48 and earlier..

49WL

Post by 49WL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I found a clutch assembly!

To Buddhahoodvatoloco: That would be awesome, thanks much. Please let me know once found.

To RUBONE: Yep, I was standing at his kitchen counter when you called. I was planning on buying that '42 Servi-Car that was also in Deming and the day I went to double check before calling I saw this guys ad, it was like 2 hours old and he already had half a dozen calls. So anyway, even though it isn't perfect I am feeling very lucky right now. On the handlebars, what is the difference between the '49 and '48 and earlier? Thanks much for the info.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Handlebars changed in '49 to a new style control. They matched the controls on the Hydra-glide bars. Both 45s and the few '49 Big Twins with springers used those new bars. They are tough to find in good shape. The 45 solos used them until the end in 52, Servi-cars used them until '57 when they finally quit using the springer. However all the Servi-car type are long Buckhorn bars and most 45 Solo were speedster.

I am who bought the trike in Deming. I'm supposed to go pick it up Tuesday. I made him a deal last Wednesday evening on it. If you want it I'll sell you all of it except the engine.
Robbie

49WL

Post by 49WL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Hey Robbie.....On the handlebars, how can you tell from looking at the photo that they are pre-49? I just want to know so I know, school me please. On the trike, I was really most interested in the motor as well, it was a good deal.

The Linkert I have to trade is an M51 and its complete short of the bowl nut, shutoff included too. I can post some pics if anyone is interested, I really need a pair road worn footboards.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 pm

I'd be interested in the carb.
As for the bars, the hand grip area is totally different on '49 up. The controls use two chrome rings held on with two screws each to retain the grip sleeve. The grip area is much shorter overall, not that big chrome sleeve on it. The middle one in the pic below is '49-'53 type control sleeve and retainer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Parts Wanted”