Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

All Panhead related topics
Post Reply
guppymech
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#1

Post by guppymech » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Hello Everybody, I'm helping a friend with a '65 Panhead. He bought a Mallory distributor (I think it's a A556) and the underside of the distributor body hits the crankcase before it fully seats in the engine. The gap between the distributor flange and the crankcase is about 3/16 inch when it hits. Have you guys run into this before? I don't have any pics right now.



guppymech
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#2

Post by guppymech » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 am

Got a pic, the gap is about 1/8 inch.

Image

RooDog
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#3

Post by RooDog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm

I, personally, have not had this particular problem. The one Mallory dizzy I installed in a '62 Panny went smoothly with no problems. But, in this case I see really only two.5 solutions: 1) toss that dizzy and go back with stock or some other breaker housing. Personally I like the idea of the automatic advance and am using it on my current Panhead project. 2) modify the distributor housing either by grinding enough relief to allow for timing adjustment, or 2.5) use a lathe to get a professional looking operating clearance. Or grind it till it fits and then use a lathe to make it all look good. DO NOT cut that original & valuable engine case.....
....Best Wishes.....RooDog....
PS: You could also shim up the housing, there is enough gear mesh down below to allow for a little height adjustment, and move that hold down clamp to the outboard hole so that you can easily get to it for timing adjustment.....

Larry
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 pm
Bikes: -
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#4

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Send that photo to Mallory.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL
Location: san diego
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#5

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 pm

A couple of notions come to mind,
1] The Harley G O D does not create all cases alike,
2] Well maybe, maybe that is the wrong Mallory, they have been at it for awhile now.
All the Mallories I have bought and landed, well over twenty have been "SPOT ON", as the utter across the pond.
guppymech wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Hello Everybody, I'm helping a friend with a '65 Panhead. He bought a Mallory distributor (I think it's a A556) and the underside of the distributor body hits the crankcase before it fully seats in the engine. The gap between the distributor flange and the crankcase is about 3/16 inch when it hits. Have you guys run into this before? I don't have any pics right now.

guppymech
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#6

Post by guppymech » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:18 pm

RooDog wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm
I, personally, have not had this particular problem. The one Mallory dizzy I installed in a '62 Panny went smoothly with no problems. But, in this case I see really only two.5 solutions: 1) toss that dizzy and go back with stock or some other breaker housing. Personally I like the idea of the automatic advance and am using it on my current Panhead project. 2) modify the distributor housing either by grinding enough relief to allow for timing adjustment, or 2.5) use a lathe to get a professional looking operating clearance. Or grind it till it fits and then use a lathe to make it all look good. DO NOT cut that original & valuable engine case.....
....Best Wishes.....RooDog....
PS: You could also shim up the housing, there is enough gear mesh down below to allow for a little height adjustment, and move that hold down clamp to the outboard hole so that you can easily get to it for timing adjustment.....
It would work to grind a relief in the dizzy body but we weren't sure of it's wall thickness. We discussed shimming it up but didn't know how much gear engagement there is, thanks for confirming that there is plenty. We tried to make the dizzy clamp work on the otbd bolt hole but H-D didn't leave enough room for it like the genny Shovels, but it's worth a second look. Rest assured the cases will not be touched.
Last edited by guppymech on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guppymech
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#7

Post by guppymech » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Larry wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm
Send that photo to Mallory.
That's a good idea!

guppymech
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#8

Post by guppymech » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 pm
A couple of notions come to mind,
1] The Harley G O D does not create all cases alike,
2] Well maybe, maybe that is the wrong Mallory, they have been at it for awhile now.
All the Mallories I have bought and landed, well over twenty have been "SPOT ON", as the utter across the pond.
My pal just emailed me and he's got a small window to return it to the seller. I think he may do that and try another one, thinking this one may have a manufacturing defect.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL
Location: san diego
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#9

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Thats the correct number for a pan, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

RooDog
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#10

Post by RooDog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 pm

is is a custom part. All custom parts may require some modification to install. The word is pronounced "Cussed 'em", and that is what it takes to make 'em work. I wouldn't waste my time returning it. It will be well into the riding season, both weeks, before you could get any possible satisfaction, if any at all... Just go ahead and make it work....
...RooDog....

RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 5403
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Re: Mallory Distributor Body hits Crankcase

#11

Post by RUBONE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 pm

A '65 should be same as early Shovel, NOT Pan as the cases changed in '65 and essentially stayed the same through '69. It would fit a '64 and earlier!

Post Reply

Return to “Panhead”