Replacing fuel tanks - help

All Panhead related topics
timh975
Bikes: 1952 Hydra Glide

Replacing fuel tanks - help

Post by timh975 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey guys, looking for some help if possible. I’m putting another set of tanks on the bike, but I need to know if they will work before I get too carried away. I was told these will work, and I’ve been told they won’t. I need to know if I can fit a fuel petcock on here, and what kind, since I don’t see a spot anywhere to fit one. The left tank has a 1/2” hole, while the right tank has a fitting on it that I don’t know what would go on it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Re: Replacing fuel tanks - help

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Wow, nice tanks.
You will need a fuel shut off rod, set up, with a crossover.

Kinda like this:
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 3311397_-1

This one eliminates the fuel shut off rod, you get the gest now.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat May 11, 2019 5:48 pm

It appears the left tank is heavily modified in the shut-off area. It should not have that type of plug in it at all and there is no indication of the top fitting for the rod, they appear molded over. The parts book illustrates the correct pieces, but they will not work on modified tanks. You can find the parts book under "Documentation" on the top of the page. Those appear to be '52-'53 footshift tanks, the '51-'53 handshift type have a recess for the shifter and a pivot bracket. What type shifter do you have?

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat May 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Rubone, is a wealth of information.
This is what you'd need if the tank still has the fuel shut off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobberguy
Bikes: 56 FLH

Post by bobberguy » Sun May 12, 2019 4:48 am

I bought a conversion kit to remove original shut off on my 56. (the alignment tool, which I don't have, was more than the conversion). It included a cap to cover the top and across over tube, it doesn't change anything, you can put it back to stock with correct parts. If your tank is modified it might not work.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 am

Really nice tanks. But for us to help we need a little more detail. Can you remove the plug from the left and cap from right and give a close up? It appears the left side has a pipe plug which is tapered and may have just been screwed in to plug it up for painting. The left side, originally, had a fine thread male fitting, doen't appear there. If it is pipe thread, straight, there are petcocks which will screw in. And the right side if original has a male tapered nipple which can be adapted to "tee" into the line. Since it doesn't appear stock we need detail of what you have.

Don't let this deter you from using those tanks, they look nice and are going for about $1000 or more a set!

Andygears

timh975

Post by timh975 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Here are a few pics of the tanks. The first two pics are the right tank. There is no hole on the top for the rod to come out the top though 🤷‍♂️. The third pic is the bottom of the left tank. Like I said, I’m new to all of this, so I’m learning about it now. Thanks all.

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein » Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Depends what you want to have when you're done. As Rubone said, your tanks have been heavily modified. If you just want to get'r going, a mix of HD and plumbing supply parts will get you going. Cut the end of the cross over pipe shown in one of the above pics, and a pipe fitting that will screw into the left tank and bring them into some sort of brass "T". Into an inline ball or gas pipe shut off and you have a functional fuel system.
Back to stock will entail exploratory surgery to see how extensive the mods are on the left tank.
All things are possible, and they appear to be an otherwise nice set of tanks
Good luck
DD

timh975

Post by timh975 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 am

RUBONE wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:48 pm
It appears the left tank is heavily modified in the shut-off area. It should not have that type of plug in it at all and there is no indication of the top fitting for the rod, they appear molded over. The parts book illustrates the correct pieces, but they will not work on modified tanks. You can find the parts book under "Documentation" on the top of the page. Those appear to be '52-'53 footshift tanks, the '51-'53 handshift type have a recess for the shifter and a pivot bracket. What type shifter do you have?
Rubone it has a footshift. Definitely not a hand shift. I’m wondering if I should just buy a brand new set of tanks instead, seeing as though these tanks have been modified, and without getting too carried away trying to find the correct parts or even trying to find parts and pieces just to get it to work? The tanks that were already on the bike were in the process of being stripped and painted, and my paint guy found that the left tank had been damaged at one time and patched with body filler. He said he can repair them, but it would damage the tank sealer already inside, so that’s why I’m going through with all this. Maybe even just tell him to repair it and keep going. It’s frustrating and I don’t know what to do.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 pm

I am going to assume that this is not a restoration project. My best advice is if you want to get this up and riding is to use a pair of Shovlehead tanks. They will be easier to find at a resonable price and in better condition than the period correct tanks for your bike. Are available in both 3.5 & 5 gallon sizes. Use late model, easy to use & with reserve, petcocks on the left side, and mount the same as your current tanks. I would not use sealer as a wasted expense and the potential of failure in later years as the stuff often breaks loose and clogs up the fuel system. Just pressure test @ 3-5 PSI and repair any leakage before doing any paint work. I would trust a good set of used OEM tanks than a set of new Asian tanks.....
....RooDog....

timh975

Post by timh975 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:05 pm

RooDog wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 pm
I am going to assume that this is not a restoration project. My best advice is if you want to get this up and riding is to use a pair of Shovlehead tanks. They will be easier to find at a resonable price and in better condition than the period correct tanks for your bike. Are available in both 3.5 & 5 gallon sizes. Use late model, easy to use & with reserve, petcocks on the left side, and mount the same as your current tanks. I would not use sealer as a wasted expense and the potential of failure in later years as the stuff often breaks loose and clogs up the fuel system. Just pressure test @ 3-5 PSI and repair any leakage before doing any paint work. I would trust a good set of used OEM tanks than a set of new Asian tanks.....
....RooDog....

RooDog, that’s what I had originally on here. Those were the ones that were damaged. I may just scrap the idea of using the replacement tanks I have and look for another set of Shovelhead tanks.

DSC02148 (3).JPG

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Frustrated? C'mon, this is a bike that somebody was riding over 60 years ago and your father loved it at some point! I would think any talk of selling it would be taboo!

What you need is to get riding, you need to get used to an old motorcycle and learn about it, and what you like and don't. Then, you have a direction you want to go with it, or make her just like your dad had her. Others have visited here that had similar stories, inherited from dad, uncle, brother, etc. different people go a different direction.

My opinions vented, get a set of tanks on that & ride it! Get some help, the right tank fitting looks stock, the left not so much. Is there an independent bike shop in your area? Take the left tank with you and have him help you pick out some fittings/ petcock to make it work, order them if you need to. Support him! Make a friend. Your bike is currently "in transition" and I wouldn't worry about paint right now.

Not meant to offend
My two cents
Andygears

timh975

Post by timh975 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 am

Andygears, no offense taken, all good my friend 🙂. I wholeheartedly agree, I wanna get this bike done and riding. It just seems like I’m running into one snag after another. I really do want to keep this as close as possible the way my dad had it. I guess it’s easy to get frustrated when you don’t know much about what you’re dealing with. I have a friend of the family who is very knowledgeable about these old bikes, and he’s been helping me as much as he can with it. I’ve had this bike since June of last year, and it’s overdue. I just need to get a hold of my painter guy and tell him to repair the old tanks, and be done with it. I bought a brand new fuel petcock for it, so I will just stick with plan A.

Return to “Panhead”