Potential clutch drag?

All Panhead related topics
sharpinski
Bikes: 1956 FLH

Potential clutch drag?

Post by sharpinski » Wed May 15, 2019 12:33 am

I have a 56 FLH with shovelheads. I run a stock style rocker clutch. My problem (at least I think it's a problem) is when the bike is in gear with the clutch disengaged, it's pretty difficult to move the bike (just pushing it). I feel like something is binding or dragging. My concern is that I may be over working my engine. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have gone through the clutch (de-glazed disks, re-greased hub, etc.). When in neutral the bike moves easily. Also, I don't have problems shifting or finding neutral when riding or stopped. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Potential clutch drag?

Post by RooDog » Wed May 15, 2019 12:49 am

Stock Harley clutch? 3 &1/2 fiber discs and 3 steel plates?

Disengage the clutch and work the kicker, it should kick through without moving the primary or engine. Should even be able to stroke the kicker by hand, if not the clutch is dragging. Not a problem for the engine, but can be hard on shifting clutches and tranny gears. Too much spring tension can cause dragging too. Try loosening the spring pressure until slippage while kicking, clutch engaged. See if that helps. Take it for a ride to be sure you are not slipping under load. If the primary chain, or belt, is too tight it can cause dragging also. I have my doubts about "deglazing" the discs, I just clean them with lacquer thinner, mineral spirits or brake clean, no gasoline, wipe 'em dry, and reinstall.
...RooDog....

Bikes: 1951FL,1958FLH,1947FL

Post by 3711 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm

RooDog,
I've used Coleman lantern fluid for cleaning my clutch discs for many years, however, recently I tried brake clean then even gasoline (I was out of Coleman fluid and gas was there) on another bike....just wondering why gas is not recommended?.....walt...tulsa,ok

RooDog

Post by RooDog » Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm

3711 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm
RooDog,
I've used Coleman lantern fluid for cleaning my clutch discs for many years, however, recently I tried brake clean then even gasoline (I was out of Coleman fluid and gas was there) on another bike....just wondering why gas is not recommended?.....walt...tulsa,ok
Well, I would start with the most obvious: It stinks. It is a serious fire hazard, it is a highly toxic chemical soup, and Coleman fuel is only just a little less so. But other than that it is just fine. I use it every day....to run my engines.....
Personally I use the hell out of brake cleaning products from Advance Auto, I buy it in 12 pk case lots.....

1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH » Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm

If you are using to much grease on hub it will sling out and gum up the hub fiber.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Coleman fuel is gas, so called "White Gas" which just doesn't have detergents and additives in it. Lacquer thinner works well as does Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits as used in the dry cleaning business).

sharpinski
Bikes: 1956 FLH

Post by sharpinski » Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for the delay in getting back. RooDog, when you say "disengage the clutch and work the kicker" I assume while in gear not in neutral? When I kick it in gear with clutch disengaged (heal down) the the bike lurches forward. Same test in neutral kicker moves freely no movement of primary/engine. It seems that if it were in gear, clutch disengaged, primary/engine should not move, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I did loosen spring nuts (stock three finger hub/3 1/2 friction/3 steel plates) didn't change anything. So, I dismantled the clutch down to the hub. I found that primary chain was rubbing the rear of the inner primary cover (I mounted it wrong, but is now fixed). Also, no excess grease, hub fingers feel smooth, no warping of plates, plates are in great shape, and spring length is good. Now, when it's in gear, clutch disengaged, I can push the bike easier now that the primary chain isn't dragging on the inner primary, but when I work the kicker, the bike still wants to lurch forward(not dramatically, but it does). Am I missing something here? I still haven't tightened the the tension the springs.

RooDog

Post by RooDog » Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 am

sharpinski wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 pm
Thanks for the replies. Apologies for the delay in getting back. RooDog, when you say "disengage the clutch and work the kicker" I assume while in gear not in neutral? When I kick it in gear with clutch disengaged (heal down) the the bike lurches forward. Same test in neutral kicker moves freely no movement of primary/engine. It seems that if it were in gear, clutch disengaged, primary/engine should not move, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I did loosen spring nuts (stock three finger hub/3 1/2 friction/3 steel plates) didn't change anything. So, I dismantled the clutch down to the hub. I found that primary chain was rubbing the rear of the inner primary cover (I mounted it wrong, but is now fixed). Also, no excess grease, hub fingers feel smooth, no warping of plates, plates are in great shape, and spring length is good. Now, when it's in gear, clutch disengaged, I can push the bike easier now that the primary chain isn't dragging on the inner primary, but when I work the kicker, the bike still wants to lurch forward(not dramatically, but it does). Am I missing something here? I still haven't tightened the the tension the springs.

RooDog

Post by RooDog » Sun May 19, 2019 12:48 am

sharpinski wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 pm
The kicker is on the mainshaft, the clutch is on the other end of the mainshaft. when in neutral only the MS turns. if in any gear the rear wheel is hooked up and will turn too. Did you expect anything else?
...RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”