Mounting Tires on Powder

Powder coated rims

All flathead topics
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Mounting Tires on Powder

Post by Schwee » Fri May 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Doing a rebuild on an old WLA and I had my rims powder coated.
Any tricks to mount tires without scratching? Special lube?

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Re: Mounting Tires on Powder

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Patience, typical soapy water.

chuckthebeatertruck
Bikes: 46 UL
59 XLH
69 SS350

Post by chuckthebeatertruck » Fri May 17, 2019 5:19 pm

sure; this one is easier than you may think.

First and foremost, be advised that if the powder is INSIDE the rim, you likely will have spoke creep in the first 500 miles of service.

Let's start from the beginning. I mostly have dealt with painted rims -- which are more fragile than powder. I start by laying out my work area -- I normally do these on the shop floor. First I lay down a folded moving blanket; then a sheet of cardboard. I often put a clean sheet over the card to give me a nice area to work on.

Take off all rings, watches, belt buckles, etc. and put on a pair of soft knee pads.

Take your nice fresh tires and put them in the full sun for a couple of HOURS. Don't skimp. Let them get soft and HOT.

While that is going on, prep everything else. I take 3M green painters tape and double up a 3/4 or 1inch strip all around the rim face and the HUB. The hub will actually take more abuse . . so protect it. Next, I pull out my handy motion pro rim protectors. I use 3-4 of the buggers, not just two. I check them for nicks or anything else that might mar the paint when they clip over.

I use two "solutions" for mounting tires on painted rims. The first is a 3 parts dawn 1 part water mix. I liberally slather this all around the rim face and the tire beads. The other is a traditional mounting solution -- 50/50 dawn and water in a spray bottle (I like dawn because it cuts grease and evaporates without a chalky residue unlike some bargain soaps I've tried over the years).

Dust the inside of the tire with talc, and slip on the first bead with nothing more than hand pressure. In goes the tube and I use a valve stem puller to not kill myself. A touch of air to unfold stuff . . .more soap solution and I work the bead all the way on with nothing more than my palms and my knees. About now, the reason I said knee pads is clear.

Unless someone hates me; I'll get 3/4 to 7/8th around a wheel before needing to use irons. This is when I slip in a whole row of rim protectors and gently ease the tire over. Slip off the protectors; air it up; seat the bead, pull off the tape, clean off the soapy mess . . . set your final air pressure and enjoy.

Takes longer to write than to do it.

If you can mount on aluminium rims without scratching . .. you'll be fine with painted rims.

Blind Melon
Bikes: 1935 Harley VD

Post by Blind Melon » Sat May 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Wow quite the list of do's and don'ts.... I'm kinda crude in my approach... I use liquid detergent on the tire bead only.. No water.. I use stripes of plastic to pad the tire iron from the rim.. I cut the stripes from old gallon water bottles but any soft plastic bottle will do.. The soap will dry and act like glue until you wet it during removal, later.. I just wipe a small amount on the bead with my fingers..

Return to “Flathead and Servicar”