Site sponsor
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1943 WLC bobber
1943 WLC
2012 Sportster

WLC crankcases

Post by rocket ron » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 am

I recently bought these WLC cases which have the factory number partially ground off and a new number stamped into the case. I have the idea that this was carried out by either the British or Canadian R.E.M.E.,but I can't recall where I got this idea from. Can anyone confirm this (or offer another explanation )?
Thanks
Ron
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 299 times
The belly numbers match.
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.16 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: WLC crankcases

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Fri May 31, 2019 4:30 am

I don’t know who stamped the extra ID. The case below has something similar and the first three characters look like BOR?

Flathead case.jpg
Flathead case.jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 240 times

The SN looks like 43WLC5+++ although it's non-factory. In other photos I have the BNs appear to be 42-9+++. Date code is L 1 for December 1941 casting.

The lines from the top of the case seem to divide the extra ID into sections. I’ve seen lines like this on three other cases but their extra ID was stamped to the left of the number boss, they only had two lines (three sections) and their first section only had the letter B. One of the three cases had a non-factory 43WLC SN but the other two had authentic-looking 42WLC SNs.

Just out of curiosity, what is the date code on your left case? I’m guessing maybe either E 2 or F 2? Thanks.
Eric

liberator
Bikes: A few...

Post by liberator » Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 pm

BOR stands for Batallion Orderly Room, the canadian/ british equivalent of the US quartermaster.
WLC's were sold to the public after being declared surplus as early as May 1945.
The QM/BOR-sergeant removed the serial and punched in the number, month and year in the cases.
I've seen several examples of this use Eric, but can't find prove if this was only done in Canada...and only to motorcycles.
Surplus declared WLC's in Holland/ Europe weren't done this way.

rocket ron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1943 WLC bobber
1943 WLC
2012 Sportster

Post by rocket ron » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 am

Eric, the date code is E2.
liberator wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 pm
BOR stands for Batallion Orderly Room, the canadian/ british equivalent of the US quartermaster.
WLC's were sold to the public after being declared surplus as early as May 1945.
The QM/BOR-sergeant removed the serial and punched in the number, month and year in the cases.
I've seen several examples of this use Eric, but can't find prove if this was only done in Canada...and only to motorcycles.
Surplus declared WLC's in Holland/ Europe weren't done this way.
So, no Military bike would have these numbers only a civilianised bike. Perhaps an opportunity to restore to condition as sold by various Motor Cycle Dealers post War; or maybe not. I believe some of them were painted maroon, bit before my time though.
At least there is some historical relevance to these numbers. Possibly this was done by the British also as I've seen a few other examples over here.
Thanks for that information Liberator.

Speeding Big Twin

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:30 am

Thanks Ron. E 2 is consistent with the BN and other examples I’ve recorded.
Eric

Speeding Big Twin

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:31 am

Thanks liberator. I searched BOR and found several meanings including Battalion Orderly Room. Have you got any documentation about BOR involvement you could post so I could keep it for future reference.

A sergeant removed an original H-D SN? Why would the SN need to be removed? And wouldn’t such removal be against the law? Why couldn’t the bikes be sold with the original SN left intact?
Eric

liberator
Bikes: A few...

Post by liberator » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 pm

I know I've read it somewhere in a canadian army E.M.E book.
Unfortunately I can't recall the book itself, so I've contacted the RCEME and the Canadian Army Archives to do some research.
I hope to fill in the missing pieces in future....to be continued

Return to “Flathead and Servicar”