Flywheel clarification

All Panhead related topics
Weirdo
Bikes: 51 Pan
91 FXR

Flywheel clarification

Post by Weirdo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Newby here. I’ve been doing a lot of research on flywheels. I just purchased a 51 EL from a dear friend assuming it is a 61ci. So did he. He has had it for a while after it’s purchase from the owner. When I picked it up off of him it had never been gone through, and now I am going through it. So here’s the deal...

The VIN is EL. Got that. The pistons are 1200 And the bore is for a 74ci. The belly #s don’t match. I don’t care. Read enough to come to terms with that just being what it is. Both cases ARE stamped “7” at the rear, so it is very possible this is a numbers job probably on the VIN. If so, I’ve come to terms with it. Flywheels are both stamped "7" as well. Title reads the VIN that is on the boss yet it’s a 1200cc on the title (74ci). Again, at terms with this.

Here is my question, from information I’ve read on this forum, there are a number of ways to determine what the flywheels are built out for. Measure stroke? Measure from center of crank pin to main shaft? Security nut for crank pin bolt sits inside or outside of arch? Need some clarity here to put my mind at ease. I have images of the crank pin, etc. I also have the VIN stamp if there is someone out there who is kind and wants to give their opinion.

I am not that concerned with whether this is a numbers job or not. Don’t care. This bike belonged to a brother. I want to ride it, so I want it to run correctly. I simply want to be sure of what I have here and that’s where all you kind people come in. So....

Let ‘er rip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Flywheel clarification

Post by RUBONE » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. Please go to the new member section and do an introduction.

Your cases are definitely a number job, heavily modified boss. And your flywheels are 74 CI type. Note the large diameter nut on the crankpin, EL has smaller straight sided nuts without the flange base (early 74 also have straight sided nuts, but the flanged one is a later update and dead giveaway). And yes, center to center measurement on the holes is 1/2 the stroke.

Robbie

Weirdo
Bikes: 51 Pan
91 FXR

Post by Weirdo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Thank you for the reply. Posted to the new member thing. Name is Johnny. Nice to meet you.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Welcome aboard, Johnny, keep an eye out for Chino, he's bad news.... LOL
...RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”