Oil pressure indication problem

Oil Pressure light will not go out

All flathead topics
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL
Location: san diego
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#31

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Tis munchas palabras,
ENEMY, more like a avocation..
old man emu wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 am
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Wise words to a maintainer of these bikes.



kitabel
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 pm
Bikes: 2008 96" Fat Boy TC
Location: Lynbrook, New York
Been thanked: 114 times
Contact:

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#32

Post by kitabel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Sun Tzu said some foolish things.

Andygears
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 am
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom
Location: Daytona Beach
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#33

Post by Andygears » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 am
Now that is turning it into Rocket Science, good job.
Andygears

old man emu
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 am
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised
Location: Narellan Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#34

Post by old man emu » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED

It's always the smallest thing that stops these bikes, and I think I found the smallest of the small.

After running all the tests that I have described, I was thinking of cleaning the oil off the old sensor and giving it a polish. As I was handling it, I noticed what I thought was a very small black spot of crud on it. I tried to wipe it away, but on closer inspection I discovered that it was a hole, obviously put there by the manufacturer, and it was clogged with crud.
vent.png
I realised that the hole was a vent to release the air above the diaphragm when the oil pressure below it moved the diaphragm. Moving the diaphragm breaks the connection between the switch points so the warning light goes out. If the vent is clogged, then the pressure above the diaphragm increases and makes it impossible for the oil pressure to move the diaphragm, so the switch points stay closed.

Using a fine piece of wire, I cleared the crud; refitted the sensor and started the engine. The light went out straight away and remained out until I stopped the engine.

So now we all know how the oil pressure sensor works and what can cause it to send an erroneous message to us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL
Location: san diego
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#35

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Rocket science, the best lesson learned, is the one your realized you learned. dam good job matey. :lol: :D :)
old man emu wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm
PROBLEM SOLVED

It's always the smallest thing that stops these bikes, and I think I found the smallest of the small.

After running all the tests that I have described, I was thinking of cleaning the oil off the old sensor and giving it a polish. As I was handling it, I noticed what I thought was a very small black spot of crud on it. I tried to wipe it away, but on closer inspection I discovered that it was a hole, obviously put there by the manufacturer, and it was clogged with crud.

vent.png

I realised that the hole was a vent to release the air above the diaphragm when the oil pressure below it moved the diaphragm. Moving the diaphragm breaks the connection between the switch points so the warning light goes out. If the vent is clogged, then the pressure above the diaphragm increases and makes it impossible for the oil pressure to move the diaphragm, so the switch points stay closed.

Using a fine piece of wire, I cleared the crud; refitted the sensor and started the engine. The light went out straight away and remained out until I stopped the engine.

So now we all know how the oil pressure sensor works and what can cause it to send an erroneous message to us.

old man emu
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 am
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised
Location: Narellan Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#36

Post by old man emu » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Please! You are embarrassing me!

One has to learn to trust those wizards at H-D back in the day who made a simple and easily maintained machine. However, I may have over-thought this problem.

I'm going to keep saying that it was the blocked vent hole that caused the problem, but I thought of another reason.

Because one of the check valve balls was not in place, and the bike was sitting unused for some months, the oil drained from the tank into the crankcase. I drained that oil out and refilled the oil tank, and fitted new steel check valve balls Because the check valves had been fixed, no oil drained into the engine.

When I first started the engine, all the oil galleries were empty, so the first thing the pump had to do was to fill them so that there was oil in the system to resist the flow of oil from the pump which creates the pressure to operate the sensor. When I was first starting the bike, it was only running for about 30 seconds before I stopped it. So the warning light kept coming on. After several starts the oil galleries must have filled, so when I started the bike there was oil in them to resist the flow from the pump and so the pressure built up and the light went out.

liberator
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm
Bikes: WLA
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#37

Post by liberator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Whatever..problem solved, that's what counts!
Contrast on tour achievement!

liberator
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm
Bikes: WLA
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#38

Post by liberator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm

My freekin' phone likes fiddling with my words.

It should have read; congrats on your achievement!

old man emu
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 am
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised
Location: Narellan Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#39

Post by old man emu » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 pm

liberator wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm
My freekin' phone likes fiddling with my words.It should have read; congrats on your achievement!
That's alright. I'm fluent in Auto-correct.

However, I failed to follow my dear mother's warning - Don't p!ss before your water comes. The problem hasn't gone away. Now the light will go out for a short time, then come back on and won't go out. I've replaced the wire in the section that could be heat affected. Next time I get a chance to work on the bike, I'll have a look at the wiring around the instrument panel.

Is it safe to blow pressurised air (about 30 psi) into the hole where the sensor is fitted and blow the oil galleries clear?

liberator
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm
Bikes: WLA
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#40

Post by liberator » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Why shouldn't it not be?
All you do is blow oil out..

PanPal
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:57 pm
Bikes: 50 EL custom
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
76 FLH Original Paint
08 CVO Road King
Location: Maryland
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#41

Post by PanPal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Since you played with your balls and springs, It sounds more likely to be a oil flow issue rather than a electrical issue. Proceed with caution!

old man emu
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 am
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised
Location: Narellan Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Oil pressure indication problem

#42

Post by old man emu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:43 pm

liberator wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 pm
Why shouldn't it not be? All you do is blow oil out..

Thanks. I needed to be assured that I wasn't going to wreck anything.

Post Reply

Return to “Flathead and Servicar”