Mousetrap cable?

All Panhead related topics
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Mousetrap cable?

Post by George Greer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:58 am

Getting ready to ride, once the weather permits, and I found a issue.

I'm going to be running a clutch booster, and by the time I get any kind of decent adjustments I run out of adjuster thread.

I read a post over at Classic American Iron, but I am having issues figuring how to post photos there.

Link to the thread: http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread. ... -Mousetrap

I did find at WW Cycles in Würzburg that they carry Barnett cables for 52 to 67 models, and various sized cables.

And I looked in Palmer's 2nd Edition book and all that I found there what that the cables were all the same, but the outer covering's were different for various years, but did not mention a length of an original cable assembly.

I am at a loss as to what would be the correct cable length to get, as the all have measurement measurement "A" the same and the length of the adjusters are also the same. I am attaching a photo from the WW site.

Comments, or what is staring me in the face that I am missing.

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robbo
Bikes: 1958 FL
1980 FLT
2017 Indian Dark Horse

Re: Mousetrap cable?

Post by Robbo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am

Cable length shouldn't make any difference if the A measurement is the same. A longer cable would just end up with a bit more cable waving in the breeze between the attachment points.
Even though they are the same, is the A measurement correct for the bike. Or is the gap from the other end of the cable cover to the attachment point causing the problem?

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm

George....
I have successfully shortened my mousetrap cable. I cut the inner with a cold chisel, but a cut off wheel would work too, made up a new ferrule end from a piece of steel stock and drilled a through hole in it. I slid the inner cable end through the hole, punched the side of my fabbed ferrule to snug it to the cable and then quickly welded the cable and ferrule together at the end. A MIG or Tig weld will quickly fuse the two together without spreading the heat, and the weld will hold ferrule in place. This worked out well for me as the cable I needed was between commercially available sizes....
These cables generally break at the handlebar end just where the inner exits the outer at the lever's perch. Be sure to keep this point of the cable well lubed at all times, it may not look pretty but it beats a broken cable at the least opportune time....
Best Wishes..... RooDog....
PS: Of course you could simply use a "cable saver" at the upper end, but that is so tacky.....

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm

The cable length differences are for different height bars, not adjustment. The two factory numbers are for Speedster or Buckhorn. The longer Barnett numbers are for custom bars. You will likely need a longer one for your Hellings bars, however the lack of adjustment is a different issue. What clutch lever are you using?

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Fellas thanks for the replys..

Robbie, According to my parts manual it is:

Release lever 37051-36

And here's what I have done.

Made sure clutch was initial set as 31/32", adjusted lever to have 4 1/4" from lever to shifter cover.

Went over the booster adjustments several times, and it works, engages and disengages the clutch, but not to the full extent I think it should because I run out of threads on the adjuster and the lever's a bit stiff.

Also I can't ride it to see how it is all going to work because since I finally got it licensed and tagged.......it's been raining!!

George

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:32 pm

AM clutch pull rods are notoriously incorrect lengths. I often just extend the threads and cut the rods if needed. What clutch pack are you using?
The position of the bellcrank affects the rod length as well as cable adjustment. Less spring tension on the mousetrap lightens hand lever pull.

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks again Robbie,

Using the above photo of these cables, none of them are close to what I have in hand.

This weekend is Europes largest swap meet, and rain or shine, I am going.

I will most likely be looking for the individual parts/components to make my own. And maybe a original one.

I don't understand why companys that make repo parts don't at least TRY to make it right.

I will still tinker with it till it is working as it should.

Thanks again.

George

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 pm

G...
When the mousetrap is disengaged, at rest, the bell crank must be over center. This is adjusted by the stop screw and locknut on the bell crank. This is the condition at which the cable and lever free play is adjusted. The free play is minimized to achieve maximum travel of the BC and all the rest of the following linkage. There is no mystery to a mousetrap. It is all simple levers and linkage and follows simple mechanical principles. No measurements are necessary, just simply watch how things are interrelated and move together, it is fascinating, and can be a fun thing, up until it pisses you off....
Enjoy the fun and games, and do wear eye protection....
....RooDog....

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 pm

And don't forget, "it's called a mousetrap for a reason"...

george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Post by george48pan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 pm

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:35 pm

I watched this video months ago and noticed that he did not mention the most important item, the spring pressure on the clutch pack itself. Those ten springs need to be tight enough to not slip while under load or when attempting to kick start, but not so tight that they coil bind, or over stress the linkage. Be sure you have the 1941-67 springs and not the softer -68 "eliminator" springs. Watch the outer adjusting ring while kicking the see that it is running true, not wobbling, and also watch to be sure there is no slippage. Adjusting a mousetrap begind at the clutch and the progress forward, the hand lever being the last item to be diled in....
....RooDog....

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:54 pm

RD,

I have watched that video several times, and several times again....actually had my Samsung tablet with me when I was doing the adjustement.

And yep, I did start at the clutch pack and worked forward, chalk marks still in alignment and no slippage.

I'm gonna make my own cable with parts that I hope to find at the Veterama tomorrow.

George

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm

I chose to shorten the cable on my project as mentioned earlier. The cable I was working with was from Motion Pro. The nice thing about that MP cable was that the outer housing was three ply with a friction reducing inner plastic liner, then a steel housing followed with an outer covering of black vinyl. Cable friction is an enemy to a smoothly functioning clutch operating system.
....RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”