piston pin retainers/circlips. harley 45

Piston pin circlips

All flathead topics
smoggy
Bikes: 55 pan,42 flathead 45.

piston pin retainers/circlips. harley 45

Post by smoggy »

Hi fellas,can different circlips,other than the original (new) be fitted. They just seem a bitch to fit. Don't fancy paying out $60 or so for the special tool when only using the once. Just wondering if more modern ones could be fitted,the ones with holes in for pliers. Or does anyone have any homebrewed tips for fitting.
Regards.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: piston pin retainers/circlips. harley 45

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Try a socket to set the clips.

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

put a clip on the pin before you put it in the piston... I would only use new clips, because when you pull them off with pliers and screw drivers , the clip gets bent. use a socket to push them on. I have the tool. believe me! It makes them so much easier to put on.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

If using stock older style 45 pistons and pins, no other clips will work other then the very stiff "L" section factory type. A perfectly adequate installation tool can be made from a tapered hardwood dowel and a piece of PVC pipe.

This is the factory tool. The large sleeve is hollow.
Attachments
DCP_3984.JPG
DCP_3984.JPG (66.92 KiB) Viewed 395 times

panzer45
Bikes: 1947 Servi-Car

Post by panzer45 »

They sell this tool on ebay on.

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

smoggy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 am
Hi fellas,can different circlips,other than the original (new) be fitted. They just seem a bitch to fit. Don't fancy paying out $60 or so for the special tool when only using the once. Just wondering if more modern ones could be fitted,the ones with holes in for pliers. Or does anyone have any homebrewed tips for fitting.
Regards.
Ok, curiously I read this post yesterday and then today I saw a pair of NOS pistons from the early 70s and instead of the old style piston pin lock ring listed on Ebay this morning. The lock ring was the newer modern style retainer ring with holes for the pliers (snap ring pliers).

So, I didn't know this, but Harley indeed switched over to the newer style retainer ring for the 45 piston pin lock ring.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

flatheadDave wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm
smoggy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 am
Regards.
Ok, curiously I read this post yesterday and then today I saw a pair of NOS pistons from the early 70s and instead of the old style piston pin lock ring listed on Ebay this morning. The lock ring was the newer modern style retainer ring with holes for the pliers (snap ring pliers).

So, I didn't know this, but Harley indeed switched over to the newer style retainer ring for the 45 piston pin lock ring.
H-D pistons for circlips are made dramatically differently than early type with the "L" shaped retainers. The pins and locks cannot be interchanged.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”