Early Tranny Case vent 34720-36 Thread

Early Tranny Case vent 34720-36 Thread

All Panhead related topics
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Early Tranny Case vent 34720-36 Thread

Post by RUBONE »

Make sure the screw is in the correct location, second hole back on the right front side. It opens into the kicker cover cavity. If into the gearbox cavity it will leak.

Don P
Bikes: 1951 Panhead (FL)

Post by Don P »

What I've found to very helpful is a early parts book.

10Pin
Bikes: 1950 FL, Custom assembled Shovelhead chopper, 1993 FXRS-Convertible, 2007 FLTR Road Glide

Post by 10Pin »

Robbo, definitely no such thing as too much vent. Other than possibly more water getting in... And for the cover screw, like mentioned above, it just needs to be in the correct hole.

On THAT note, given my wonky threads, I am working on some options. I'm considering using a small hose barb fitting (with the hole drilled and tapped to match), and running a small hose over the side of the case. This bike will be ridden, and sometimes you can't avoid the rain... I am thinking this might limit taking in water, similar to a modern trans vent. Anybody ever done something like this?

Robbo
Bikes: 1958 FLH
1980 FLT
2017 Indian Dark Horse

Post by Robbo »

Hey 10Pin
I screwed up the thread a bit trying to put the breather back in, to be fair the light wasn't great and there was beer. When I got some daylight on the task I used a smaller diameter 32 pitch tap as a thread file and it fixed it up ok.
Not sure if your idea is workable but on the basis that you cant over vent, a I cant see why not. But given the position of the vent and the size of hole I can't see rain being a big issue.

10Pin
Bikes: 1950 FL, Custom assembled Shovelhead chopper, 1993 FXRS-Convertible, 2007 FLTR Road Glide

Post by 10Pin »

Robbo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 am
Hey 10Pin
I screwed up the thread a bit trying to put the breather back in, to be fair the light wasn't great and there was beer. When I got some daylight on the task I used a smaller diameter 32 pitch tap as a thread file and it fixed it up ok.
Not sure if your idea is workable but on the basis that you cant over vent, a I cant see why not. But given the position of the vent and the size of hole I can't see rain being a big issue.
Robbo, sorry for the delay, I've been tied up on other stuff. Anyway, I've read a few things, here and other boards, where guys have complained about the case breather letting in water. I did see a guy on THIS board from several years ago that modified the top cover bolt to install a hose in a similar manner to what I'm thinking. That might be a better way to go, especially if a guy has a pristine case... But since my case, as I look at it more, is already modified, I'm thinking I'm going to experiment. Juggling a few things just now, but once I get it sorted, I'll post some pics. Pretty confident it's gonna work.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I seem to remember reading a Tech Tip in Easyriders Magazine, many years ago, suggesting cutting down a spent pistol cartridge casing and crimping it just enough to hold it in place over the vent screw to form an umbrella so that water does not have direct access to the horizontal venting hole. Would that possibly work for us?
....RooDog....

Gunny
Bikes: 56 Pan custom bobber, S&S S.A. 113ci Home made Evo softail custom bobber, 1998 Buëll XB12X

Post by Gunny »

Late style but this what I'v done on mine.Image

10Pin

Post by 10Pin »

Well, the saga is concluded, for me anyway, for now! :lol:

I finally got the 5/16-32 tap, and some time, and was able to successfully clean up the wonky threads. The Colony breather threaded right in without any issue. So, I pulled it out, slathered it with a little low strength loctite, and snugged it down. The breather hole points to the inside/rear, which I would think is about as good as I could hope for the water issue.
So, I'm going to move on from this, and get on with the rest of the assembly for this project. :)

I'll then keep an eye on my tranny fluid after any washes or rain rides... IF I see a water issue, I'll deal with it at that time. Thanks to all who offered advice and assistance!

10Pin

Post by 10Pin »

RooDog wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm
I seem to remember reading a Tech Tip in Easyriders Magazine, many years ago, suggesting cutting down a spent pistol cartridge casing and crimping it just enough to hold it in place over the vent screw to form an umbrella so that water does not have direct access to the horizontal venting hole. Would that possibly work for us?
....RooDog....
Interesting! Seems so long as the cartridge was "oblonged" enough to not block the hole, it might do the trick! I'll keep it in mind...

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The case mounted vent was susceptible to water intake, the top mounted one is virtually immune. After the change to top mounted H-D never felt any need to change it through the life of the 4 speed box.

Return to “Panhead”