Panhead Rocker arms

All Panhead related topics
Sieber60 +
Bikes: 1967 FLH 1972 FX and a 53 Panhead Project

Panhead Rocker arms

Post by Sieber60 + » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 am

New to panheads... so be patient. I am looking at this set of heads (completely assembled) on each head one rocker arm moves (rock) and the 0ther doesn't move. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info!

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Panhead Rocker arms

Post by RooDog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 am

If the valves are in place then you are trying to move the rockers in a reverse direction where they don't normally travel. So, yes, it may not be "normal" but i find it to be typical and not at all unusual. Best to unscrew the caps and look at the rockers for excess wear and galling. If the seller won't let you do them, then walk away, very quickly....
Panhead rockers are very forgiving if there is no obvious damage, you are probably OK, but do check the valve pads for wear, and the pushrod cups for more deterioration. All moving surfaces should be clean and shiny, but not necessarily polished looking. The rockers should be copper colored on any non machined surfaces, and the pillow block caps should be a bronze color with some raised cast numbers. If they are unmarked YELLOW BRASS, they are aftermarket and quite iffy, leave them alone too....
But these tid bits are just from my limited experiences.... Best Wishes....
....RooDog....

Sieber60 +
Bikes: 1967 FLH 1972 FX and a 53 Panhead Project

Post by Sieber60 + » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:03 am

Okay... good info. Based on your description the arms are not aftermarket they have raised numbers. Actually they are on a 53 motor and the top end looks new, pistons, fresh bore (30 over), new springs etc. I think Ill take the two rockers in question apart.

Just an FYI the motor doesn't have any push rods at this point.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:37 pm

The world is your oyster at this point, just crack it open and see what's inside, but if you find one of those little shiny pebble looking things, just toss it so you don't crack a tooth while enjoying the slimy good stuff. No! wait, that may have been a pearl, something to make life just a little bit more interesting.
....RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”