All Panhead related topics
rocket ron
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1943 WLC bobber
1943 WLC

Wiring a starter button

Post by rocket ron »

I have an RSES starter on my Duo with the button fitted to the frame above the coil. It is connected directly to the solenoid.
As the handlebars are off I’m going to fit the correct starter button as per an Electra.
Checking the wiring diagrams I notice that they didn’t use a relay until 1968.
Question: is a relay really necessary? It would be easier not to fit one.
Thanks. Ron

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Wiring a starter button

Post by RUBONE »

The relay was added because of switch problems without it. The switch isn't capable of carrying heavy and constant amperage loads and failure was a regular occurrence. (the switch would overheat and melt). The relay stopped that. What you do on your own bike is up to you.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

The MoCo was never big on fixing problems, just addressing the symptoms, thus they applied a General Motors horn relay to take the load off of the handlebar button. Later applications called for a FORD starter relay. The later Shovels & Evos use a Bosch, little cubular plastic universal relay. They seem to work well, do not take up much space, and can be mounted most any where since it is not mechanically grounded, but does have a grounding lead wire, a four wire hookup. I use 'em without any problems....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/37139314 ... -l1000.jpg

....RooDog....

panhog
Bikes: 1964 Pan

Post by panhog »

rocket ron wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:26 am
I have an RSES starter on my Duo with the button fitted to the frame above the coil. It is connected directly to the solenoid.
As the handlebars are off I’m going to fit the correct starter button as per an Electra.
Checking the wiring diagrams I notice that they didn’t use a relay until 1968.
Question: is a relay really necessary? It would be easier not to fit one.
Thanks. Ron
I am running A RSES also. With a heavy duty button wired directly to the solenoid. Yeah if you are going with the handle bar button you will need to run a relay. To much juice for that little switch to handle.
Good to see another running that setup. Don't let anyone tell you that you should not be riding because you are not physically able to kick start any more.

rocket ron
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1943 WLC bobber
1943 WLC

Post by rocket ron »

Thanks for all your help but there’s a change of plan. Not wanting to start drilling holes into a nice pair of OEM buckhorns I’ve decided to continue using my existing heavy duty button mounted on frame above the coil.
Of course, if I change my mind in the future I’ll be using a relay as suggested and the NOS starter button that I’ve already bought.
panhog wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 am
Don't let anyone tell you that you should not be riding because you are not physically able to kick start any more.
I had trouble kicking because of arthritic knees and now they’ve been fixed I’m not going to chance it. I’ll be ok with the flatheads. Nothing will stop me riding.
Ron

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

RooDog wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:16 pm
The MoCo was never big on fixing problems, just addressing the symptoms,

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/37139314 ... -l1000.jpg

First step to fixing problems is admitting they have one! “New & Improved” works without admitting guilt.

Andygears

Return to “Panhead”