Tyre wear due to axle adjustment

Is it an out of adjustment axle or road camber that affects tyre wear?

All flathead topics
old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Tyre wear due to axle adjustment

Post by old man emu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:03 am

While I was putting the wheel back on my bike from the brake pivot centering saga, I had to loosen off the chain and the chain adjusters. I got to wondering if the chain adjusters were out of whack, making the axle not sit at 90 degrees to the centreline of the bike, would that be the cause of the rear tyre wearing more on one side to the centre line than the other.

I've noticed while following friends that their tyres wear more on the side of the tyre nearest the crown of the road. Is this due to the rider having to lean towards the crown to counteract the slope of the camber towards the edge of the road? For most of you, this wear would be on the left hand side of the tyre, but since Australians, New Zealanders and British ride on the left hand side, the wear is on the right hand side of the tyre.

So, what's the majority opinion - out of alignment axle or road camber?

OME

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Tyre wear due to axle adjustment

Post by RooDog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:23 am

Does it track true with you hands off of the bars or pull to one side? You can center/aim your rear wheel with bats or by pulling a string down both sides of the rear tire and see how it aligns with the front wheel, assuming your front wheel is centered, Moderns springers have the front wheel off to one side, why? i don't know. I like to center my rear wheel while the fender and tanks are off the bike and using bats align the wheel to the backbone, top frame tube and neck. But that's hard to do on a fully assembled motorcycle......
....RooDog.....

old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Re: Tyre wear due to axle adjustment

Post by old man emu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am

My bike tracks true. There is an even wear pattern across the tyre's contact patch. The unusual wear is something I have see on other bikes.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”