Oil tank

Stock oil tank install

All Shovelhead and other models topics
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Oil tank

Post by Frazier »

Installing a stock oil tank on a 1974 shovel and it looks like removeing the rear fender isent enough , seems like i also have to remove the starter , outer primary , clutch and hub , and inner primary , been about 15 years since ive done one of these , anyone here done one of these recently ?

guppymech
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R

Re: Oil tank

Post by guppymech »

My bike is a '84 FXE and I recently had the oil tank out to reinstall the starter after having it be kick only for a few years. I was able to reinstall the oil tank from the right side of the bike with the electric starter completely installed. I removed the rubber tank mounts and just worked the oil tank mount tabs over the frame mounts, first one then the other. There was just enough room, hopefully your '74 will be similar.

Tom

Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Thanks Tom i will give it a try

Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Well kinda changed my mind a little , been wanting to work on the tranny for a while so i took that outa the bike , its a fx trans top so the foward control shifting pattern is opposite like one up and three down and there is no speedo drive on the countershaft gear cluster , i like seeing how fast im going , and also ive never liked the blue paint that came on this bike so will take off the sheet metal after i drill holes in the rear fender for new turn signals and take it to the painter for a black paint job with flames and while the painter is doing his thing i will take some parts to the chromer , then might as well change the front end to a duel disc setup with a new wheel and tire and those 16” apes are kinda like a sail on the fwy so i bought some shorter ones and also bought all new handlebar controls w/ modern switches to replace the switches screwed all over the old bars and while im at it might as well re-wire the whole bike , gotta hurry up cause rideing season is here !

Return to “Shovelhead”