1966 BMW R60/2
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Re: Generator lamp on occasionally

Post by FL54 »

Others more knowledgeable may chime in but don’t know what that threaded hole is for. Have one on my ‘69 and it’s OEM.

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

So I'm back to my initial problem, the generator lamp coming on. Lamp circuit checks OK and is not grounded. With the bike running again, I tested the amperage output with the field grounded per the service manual, and I probably came close to toasting my "20 amp Unfused!" multi meter. I very briefly saw 24 amps on the readout before I dropped the connection.

The manual says I should see 10 amps, else the generator is suspect. So, the 65A is apparently kicking butt. I wish the manual had said "10 amps or more" or given a range. I guess I was under the impression that 10 amps would be a max output?

Now the old 74510-64 mechanical regulator has fallen suspect. Anyone have luck adjusting one of these?
I see fire sale Dixie brand for 10 bucks plus shipping on Ebay. I'm tempted to buy one. Probably decent "made in Japan" quality.

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

I have been reading the Delco-Remy service bulletin for this regulator, but haven't done anything to it yet. Rode the rig a few miles yesterday to my current "job site". Got about half way there , reached down and rapped on the regulator case with my knuckles...Lamp immediately goes out and stays out until I reach my destination. When I leave a few hours later, same thing. All the terminals are snug, so I can imagine one of the contact point sets in the regulator is possibly sticking/dirty. The service bulletin does suggest that most issues can be resolved with a simple cleaning of the contacts. Makes sense, since ignition points occasionally need attention too.
Looks like I need to buy some "crocus" cloth for the softer contacts.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Maybe I’m all wet but old regulators may just get to the point where they have to be replaced. If you think about the hell they go thru, maybe the pivot for the points just wears out. Swinging back and forth many times per minute (second?) has to take a toll after years of use. My 40 year old Bosch regulator used to dead short and blow my main fuse. Putting it on a separate wire with it’s own fuse back to the battery isolated the problem, now when it’s fuse blows, it lites the Gen lite and I know what happened. I just replaced the reg. and have not had a problem since.

Also, I’ve heard that it’s bad practice to use any type of abrasive on contact points, the story goes that particles of abrasive “Charge” the surface, like a lap, and cause arcing. Others heard this? A point file keeps the surfaces and the gap equal and leaves no residue.

My 2 cents
Andygears

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Andygears wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm
...Also, I’ve heard that it’s bad practice to use any type of abrasive on contact points, the story goes that particles of abrasive “Charge” the surface, like a lap, and cause arcing. Others heard this? A point file keeps the surfaces and the gap equal and leaves no residue...
Yes, the Delco_Remy bulletin specifically states which contacts to file, and which to use crocus cloth on. Alcohol is one of the chemicals listed "OK" to rinse residue. They state to NOT use sand paper or emery cloth at all, but did not go into the details of why not. I had heard of crocus cloth before, but always figured it the same as fine sand paper. Googled it, the difference is that the crocus abrasive is iron oxide.

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

panhead_kicker wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 pm
So I'm back to my initial problem, the generator lamp coming on. Lamp circuit checks OK and is not grounded. With the bike running again, I tested the amperage output with the field grounded per the service manual, and I probably came close to toasting my "20 amp Unfused!" multi meter. I very briefly saw 24 amps on the readout before I dropped the connection.

The manual says I should see 10 amps, else the generator is suspect. So, the 65A is apparently kicking butt. I wish the manual had said "10 amps or more" or given a range. I guess I was under the impression that 10 amps would be a max output?

Now the old 74510-64 mechanical regulator has fallen suspect. Anyone have luck adjusting one of these?
I see fire sale Dixie brand for 10 bucks plus shipping on Ebay. I'm tempted to buy one. Probably decent "made in Japan" quality.
I bought 3 of those Dixie regulators for $25, and it was a good deal. They work fine, and I have a couple of spares. I fried one when I flashed the gererator on the regulator instead of the armature post on the generator. So, that was my fault. They work fine though, defiantly worth it.

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by flatheadDave »

FL54 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Others more knowledgeable may chime in but don’t know what that threaded hole is for. Have one on my ‘69 and it’s OEM.
I have this hole too in my 69 motor mount, I have no idea what it is for. But a guess would be for some type of touring chrome cover used on a dresser to cover that area.

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by flatheadDave »

FL54 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:12 pm
My mechanic friend asks me, is it for a spark plug cable retainer?

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

flatheadDave wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 pm
My mechanic friend asks me, is it for a spark plug cable retainer?
Good thought, but Nope, here is the stock retainer:
wire_clip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

With the regulator on bike, I filed and ran crocus cloth through the appropriate points, rinsed them and started the bike up. No help, lamp still on. So I removed the regulator for a closer look.
The current contacts are badly damaged, with a large part of the top contact transferred over to a "mound" on the bottom contact.
OK, now I give up on this regulator, new Dixies on the way.
contact.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FL54
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

That bike is only 50 years old. Don’t they make anything to last anymore?

flatheadDave
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by flatheadDave »

panhead_kicker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 pm
With the regulator on bike, I filed and ran crocus cloth through the appropriate points, rinsed them and started the bike up. No help, lamp still on. So I removed the regulator for a closer look.
The current contacts are badly damaged, with a large part of the top contact transferred over to a "mound" on the bottom contact.
OK, now I give up on this regulator, new Dixies on the way.
contact.jpg
good pic! toast! The dixie will work fine.

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

FL54 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 pm
That bike is only 50 years old. Don’t they make anything to last anymore?
:D

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

New Dixie installed and working well according to my VOM. No more GEN lamp either.
I wasn't impressed with the ruggedness (or lack thereof) of the internals, as compared with the old Delco. Time will tell!

FL54
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3