Shovel
Bikes: 2016 FLHTK
1978-1/2 FXE
1976 FLH
1964 FLH
1974 T-150

VIN to use for a '61 FL

Post by Shovel »

For no good reason I bought a '61FL down in Texas that's destined to become a runner - lots of repop stuff and shovel parts bolted on and I'm not looking to do a restoration (my '64 taught me how expensive that is). The bike came with a clear title and affidavit from the Texas state police saying it's all clean and good - they ran the engine S/N through their system. Thing is, the title lists the VIN as a "B81##" that's stamped onto the left side of the neck. An area was smoothed off and stamped with what I assume to be an anti-theft code. Title has the year correct so I should be able to transfer the title into Arkansas with no issues.

Question is, should I go and try to title the bike by the engine S/N as the VIN ( takes a few bucks and can get an "unregistered vehicle" or a bonded title) or just go ahead and keep the title by the add-on frame VIN? Down the road, if I decide to part this bike out seems I could sell the titled frame as one item and get a separate title for the engine. Thoughts?

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: VIN to use for a '61 FL

Post by RUBONE »

If the engine has original numbers and you can title it by all means do. Whether you use it now or not it is just money in the bank. But if the numbers are modified in any way don't bother.

Shovel
Bikes: 2016 FLHTK
1978-1/2 FXE
1976 FLH
1964 FLH
1974 T-150

Re: VIN to use for a '61 FL

Post by Shovel »

Numbers are real and check out clean. I'd hate to lose the ability to title the frame separately, even though I'll probably never split the thing up (against my upbringing). Just was thinking how nice it'd be to have the option to do some creative things if an untitled '61 became available...
Pan Vin.jpg
Pan Vin.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Return to “Panhead”