Starter

Panhead starter

All Panhead related topics
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Starter

Post by Frazier »

Well been looking but havent had any luck so i thought i would try you guys , before i build one from scratch thought i would see if anyone knew of a manufacture of motorcycle starters kinda like the one in that movie the worlds fastest indian where he puts the back wheel on two pipe rollers and pushes the button on the electric motor with the bike in fourth gear then pops the clutch, the two rollers go round and round and starts the bike ? Anyone know of where to find such a tool ?

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Starter

Post by RooDog »

Burt Munro being the king of guy that he was, I.m sure he built it himself from scraps he had lying around....
....RooDog....

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Starting rollers are a common item in the race bike/drag bike world. Most have been replaced with direct crank starters but they still exist. There are many manufacturers as well as home built types. There are also simple rollers that go under the wheel of a car and start your bike ( a driven wheel without all wheel drive systems!)

Here is one company
https://www.roscosrollers.com/

And another

And are you aware of this amazing thing called Google, where you can find this yourself?? :shock:

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog »

GTS?

Bone Head
Bikes: 1956 Frankenstein
1998 Harley FXDL

Post by Bone Head »

Forgive me for asking, ut why would you want to start a bike like that? Just curious.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog »

High compression race bike, perhaps without any on board starting gear.....
Don't want to break a sweat right before a race, eh?
....RooDog....

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
76 FLH Original Paint
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

If they are board trackers or a short rear fender bike. We put one bike running on the rear stand. Back the other up to it and start the high compression bike with the rear tire from the running bike. Always draws a crowd. When crowds were allowed! Probably not what your looking for though.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

SOLO by dyna systems. Doc Z International LTD. www.doczintl.com

From “The Antique Motorcycle” magazine, this month, an ad on pg. 61.

Join the AMCA! The magazine is worth the cost of membership. Support the hobby.

Andygears

Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Thanks guys ! Knew you guys would know where to get one , found some from a company called Jag but they were all for like dragsters and such with a power take off on the motor but needed one for motorcycle wheels with rollers , have this beautiful panhead i finished building about a year ago that i never ride cause starting the thing is such a bitch ! Last time i bump started down the hill but had to hitch a ride home from town to get the trailer cause i couldnt get it started again , every few months i will drain the gas , put in fresh fuel and go buy another new battery and kick that thing till i feel like pushing it over a cliff then there it sits for another 3 months now im either going to figure out whats wrong or just sell the thing and buying something that will start this thing so i could check the timeing with the bike running is kinda my last ditch effort to solve the problem before i get rid of it

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Frazier wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 pm
Thanks guys ! Knew you guys would know where to get one , found some from a company called Jag but they were all for like dragsters and such with a power take off on the motor but needed one for motorcycle wheels with rollers , have this beautiful panhead i finished building about a year ago that i never ride cause starting the thing is such a bitch ! Last time i bump started down the hill but had to hitch a ride home from town to get the trailer cause i couldnt get it started again , every few months i will drain the gas , put in fresh fuel and go buy another new battery and kick that thing till i feel like pushing it over a cliff then there it sits for another 3 months now im either going to figure out whats wrong or just sell the thing and buying something that will start this thing so i could check the timeing with the bike running is kinda my last ditch effort to solve the problem before i get rid of it
If a stock Panhead doesn't start in 3 kicks (or less) there is a problem that needs fixing.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

[b]Exactly,

Many factors come into play,
first one being, you need 6 volts plus if its a 6 volt,
then the nex issue would be the timing, if your off you can kick that puppy till your nuts fall off, :lol:,
then you carb, are you flooding out,
address these issues and it should pop right off,
are you priming the bike, retarding etc.. :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

[/b]
RUBONE wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm
Frazier wrote:
If a stock Panhead doesn't start in 3 kicks (or less) there is a problem that needs fixing.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

[b]Exactly,

Many factors come into play,
first one being,
you need 6 volts plus if its a 6 volt,
then the nex issue would be the timing,
if your off you can kick that puppy till your nuts fall off, :lol:,
then you carb, are you flooding out,
address these issues and it should pop right off,
are you priming the bike,
retarding half way, etc.. :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

[/b]
RUBONE wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm
Frazier wrote:

Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Its 12 volt with a malory electric dist and an S&S E carb , static timed it 12 years ago when i was building the motor with the heads off and if my memory serves me right the timeing marks wernt right when i timed it off the pistons when they were just so far from top dead center according to the book dont remember what that measurement was maybe something like 7/16 before TDC measuring with a ruler on top of the piston before it reached the top of its travel

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Are you kidding? You haven’t checked the timing in 12 years? Turn the circuit breaker!

Andygears

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog »

Where's the timing gonna go? I haven't checked mine in that time span either, it starts and runs well, so, what's the point. We both have electronic ignitions, the timing don't degrade like a set of points do....
How often do y'all checked the timing in your 21st century cars & trucks?
....RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”