My 58 FL

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Re: My 58 FL

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Okay, now that's a first, not running cloth. But the looms nowadays, connections are crimped so tight they break off. Thanks for your time RooDog, ghetto handle :lol: 8)
RooDog wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 am
Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 am
Sacrilegious, you drilled a frame, how could you. Your gonna hear it now.
But I digress, stunning job, impressive, but a little confused both terminals run on one bike.
Again, clean and impressive. I also will save one pic.
Yep the frame is drilled, but I have a welded up so many holes in this frame that I ain't sweating this 'un.
Ho-made wiring harness 'cause I did not want to run the cloth covered wires. This terminal board under the tanks exists because there is not one on the fork. The wire connections are for the front lighting and the horn. My other two scooters are rigged similarly....
RooDog

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Estoy recibiendo significados mixtos aquí. Pero, los mejores deseos de todos modos....
RooDog

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:25 am

Liquid electrical tape come to mind.

Budda, tried to find that at the local Bau-Haus ( think Lowes) they looked at me like I had lost my mind LOL.

But where I used to work, there is a "Liquid Pro-seal" that is used on the AH-64 Apache helicopter in some places, and I will see if I can get one of my old co-workers to let me get a little of it.

George

RooDog
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

George...
I see that you asked a specific question on an S&S site about a production date code on a Shorty E and got a BS answer directing you to use a CV carb. Have you tried asking S&S directly? I have noticed that S&S has really gone down hill since the Smith Family got out of the biz. They didn't even show up at the very last V-Twin Dealers' Expo in Cincinnati. And U understand they sold out the FlatHead Power product line too.....
I know you are in Germany, but do you shop on eBay? I found an S&S Panhead manifold for about $60 this morning....
....RooDog

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am

Roodog,

I don't normally shop ebay anymore, but I do look.

I have pretty much given up on trying to find a date for the carb as it really don't matter to me, I was just curious. I was advised that IF, I decide to use this carb that I should jet it down.......and since I know nothing/nadda about these I decided to strip it and see what was inside and how it all goes together.

Pretty simple carb, and I can do it...lol.

Main jet was 70 and int was .295 I also found out that W&W Cycles in Würzburg has every part listed for the carb and cheaper that Linkert rebuild parts! Anyhoo, If I do decide to mess with it later on, I would drop both main and int. jet down 2 sizes to get started. The advice was that as it sits would be too much for the engine and would wash-down the cylinder walls and rings and foul plugs. Whatcha thinks? Sound logical?

Thanks.

George

RooDog
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:42 pm

George.....
You are truly fortunate to have a local supplier with parts & pieces available so you don't have to wait for needed stuff. I am not a carb expert by any means, but I do have some experience with Bendix, Keihins, and S&S G models. I know nothing about Linkerts. My first advice is to be careful as to who you listen to, or rather what advice you follow. I don't subscribe to the "washing down cylinders" theory simply because if the carb is that rich it ain'r gonna run worth a crap anyway and a tuner should be adjusting out of that situation right now! The midrange, slow, jet is the most important, the engine will actually run and be rideable without the main jet even being installed, so you tune the slow jet initially, up to about 4000 RPM, and then dial in the main jet with high speed full throttle power runs. Also use as little accelertor pump shot, it is adjustable, as you can get away with. Its main function is to help prime for starting, and to cover a hole in the fuel delivery when whacking open the throttle at low RPMs. Too much Accl pump is where the urban myth of washed cylinders, and fouled plugs comes from. Best advice: Get ahold of S&S's installation/tuning instructions as a reliable guide to getting your carb right. And it's best to start rich and tune leaner so as to avoid frying the engine. Also, I do not hold much stock in trying to read spark plugs on a street engine, too many varying operating conditions, and just tune by feel, ear, and how the engine behaves. Plug reading is an art form for experienced race track tuners.... And finally, have fun with your scooter......
,,RooDog

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Get ahold of S&S's installation/tuning instructions as a reliable guide to getting your carb right.
In the documenmtation section: http://www.hydra-glide.com/joomla/index ... er-e-and-g

RooDog
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Thank You, Panhead....
....RooDog

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Fellas,

I have spent quite a bit of time today looking at old threads, and reading Palmer's 2nd edition book and can not find what I am looking for.

I am looking for the correct way to run the transmission neutral switch wire, my manual shows a single green wire coming from the transmission switch, and I can probably just run the wire along the seat post tube anyway that I want, but I am curious as the proper routing.

I have been quite busy wiring the handlebar switch"s and making some aftermarket stuff work properly.

Horn button is now installed, and working.

Aftermarket ... Turn-signal switch... after I took it apart, filed a "V" in the pin to make it a 3 position switch, and filed all the crappy casting flash off all the parts and fitted the parts to fit smoothly, now works just fine. I did mount it on the left side of the handlebar, and fitted a "Hi-low beam" switch on the right hand side, I did not want to drill into the Hellings bars that I have (BTW thanks to Robbie for correctly identifying) and mounted it on the right side and ran the wires for it as well.

All 4 turn-signals that I am going to be using have been "overhauled" and new wires and o-rings installed.

Thanks,

George

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Photos of what I have been doing on the project.........(don't mind the mess).

Finished up on the dash cover's lights with a piece of phenolic and some aftermarket light covers, and installed LED bulbs.

Massaged the modified head light switch to a 3 position turn-signal switch and ran internal wiring.
Also...... went over the horn button, and fixed all that aftermarket crap that did not work when completely installed..when screwed down...it locked up.

Right side shows the switch that I found to make the "hi-Low" beam headlights and with a kill button on it. Installed all the wires after I soldered and heat shrank all the connections.

Installed the brake master cylinder, but not too happy with the way that it is fitting. Seems to be too high/too close to the bend. I would like to find something that would fit better, but I pretty much committed to using this setup so I have brakes & lighting controls handy.

I did not want to drill any additional holes in the original bars, so I kinda adapted to use what I had on hand.

Tested all the switch's connections with a multi-meter, and after making sure no shorts to ground hooked up a battery and made sure it all worked....so far, so good.

George
Attachments
Handlebar3.jpg
Handlebar3.jpg (123.37 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Handlebar4.jpg
Handlebar4.jpg (107.91 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Handlebar1.jpg
Handlebar1.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Handlebar.jpg
Handlebar.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 71 times

RooDog
100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57 pm

George....
I like the way you did the idiot light, very nice....
....RooDog....

Return to “Projects”