My 58 FL

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Re: My 58 FL

Post by RooDog » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:28 pm

George.
No need to use a vise to wind the spring. Install the shaft with the spring so that the hooked end is loose and toward the rear of the motorcycle about 9:30 position. Once the gear is in place you can simply wind the shprig by hand the 1/4 turn necessary to preload it. Mean while, the gear can only install one way with the small pin against its stop. Move the kicker in the normal direction as in kicking it, and it should move smoothly about 180*, then you can hook the spring as the last part of the assembly. If necessary I can disassemble my tranny laying on the shop floor for pics, but that wouldn't be till later today.....

Chill out, take 10 deep breaths and think about how this simple piece of machinery works, it's not rocket science, don't over complicate it, it was designed in the 1930s....

Let me know if you still need pics....
....RooDog....

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:19 am

Fellas,

Got it back together, I and I put on the ribbed one that I had and was going to be using on the spare transmission that I am building.

The ribbed one is really beefy with a lot of metal around the kicker, and I went ahead and changed bushings and instead of a flat washer seal, I installed 2 o-rings in the groove between bushings, and lubed it up good.

Now then, being the wuss that I am and I don't have a heated garage to work in..........when I got cold, I quit for the evening.

I need to reinstall and adjust the clutch cable and rod.....and before I do that I am going to reset the clutch basket to initial settings.

George

PS, later on I will post pics.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 pm

G....
You made a good move going to the ribbed AM kicker cover. I had one too on my 68 FL back before I went to the 5:4 Speed conversion (some time around 1990-93) .
Kicker.jpg
Most all used OEM covers I found were either cracked or busted out beyond usage,
DSC02176.JPG
and these heavy duty cast pieces do seem to have enough beef to take the abuse of kick starting these beasties. On my recent Panny Project, the entire kicker package, except the ratchet/clutch, was a mess, so I went with Tedd's V-Twin parts: cover, one piece arm, and bumper stop plate.
DSC01899.JPG
Now some folks may cringe, but all this stuff installed and have been working flawlessly. A bicycle pedal really does work well, and all this stuff looks right in place on the retro Panny. Not all Tedd's stuff is junk. And now I just can't believe how smoothly the old Pan kicks through. Back to my Shovel. You'll notice the electric start motor, so that kicker turned out to be a backup piece which eventually went away forever when I added the extra gear. "If you ain't moving forward, yer backin' up".....
....RooDog....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Got it all done, clutch adjusted, clutch booster adjusted...........now it finally works right.

Getting cold, but I still took her on a short test ride, and everything seems to be in order, and transmission shifts smooth.

Now to address the foot shift lever not staying where I put it.

Thanks for all that commented, and advised.

George

PS, since my bike is a mix & match bike, and I have no intentions of ever having it as a "restored 58FL", just my rider that I can fix, and not a Harley dealer, to hook up a fancy computer to tell the tech what part to change or reset.
I don't mind using aftermarket parts as long as the work correctly.

My only concern's was........Engine, transmission and frame...........keeping those three items unmolested as possible.......everything else...what works will work for me. But as it came to be.......most of the parts are Harley.

I wish it was spring now....

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:45 pm

G....
You're a man after my own heart, we are kindred spirits, making our bikes our own and not trying to toe the factory line. Now let's fix that shifter with a coupla splined pieces. You will need an inner arm and the outer arm. The outes are easy swapmeet items, the inner will take a little looking and luck. I'll let you know if I find something.....
....RooDog....

Raytag
Bikes: 1972 FL, 1975FX Bitsa

Post by Raytag » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:13 pm

George Greer wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm
Now to address the foot shift lever not staying where I put it.
Posting a pic of this (maybe) aftermarket bugger will ring a bell with some of us ?
Some aftermarket foot-shifter are faulty by design :evil:

Ray, who once lost one foot-shifter somewhere on the highway and was really excited while downshifting with apehanger and forward controls to get to next dealer in the middle of town. Plenty amusement for the cagers for free !! :roll:

dragstews
Bikes: 52 Pan/Shovel
92 RS Buell

Post by dragstews » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Time to sit back for a few, grab a brew, smokem if ya gotem ....

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 pm

George, an old machinist trick if you’re committed to getting a spline setup, in the meantime you could put in a “Dutchman”. Position the shifter where you’re sure you want it and drill and tap a hole half in the shaft and half in the shifter, loktite in a set screw and go riding, you plan on replacing both parts anyway. But it’s kind of a hack.

Andygears

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by RooDog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Anyy, this didn't work for me. My OEM shaft was hardened steel and I couldn't drill it.... I think the non-splined shifter was a just another turd of an idea to come out of Milwaukee. And don't say it was to keep some heavy booted ape from trashing the shift linkage/gears either. I've kicked many a shift with the splined version with no ill effects, but then maybe I just not destructive enough.....
...RooDog....

Return to “Projects”