Identification information of frames and transmissions
vagabond

Need frame ID help

Post by vagabond »

Description: im trying to find out is what the frame is

Post by vagabond on Apr 20, 2007, 1:36pm

ok guys

im hoping you can help me out one more time
i just did some trading a couple days ago for this flathead from a local guy. the engine is a 1939 WLDD (WLD Special marked 39WLDD2377) and the frame having a number of VE 620T or UE 620T ( Just going off what the guy told me on the frame number, i havent looked for it yet)
i know what the engine is ( and know it has the incorrect heads on it, but i have the tall fin aluminum heads it came with stock) but what im trying to find out is what the frame is. the guy put alot of the incorrect stuff on it ( like about everything) and what i want to do is get a correct tank and put back on it, and put the battery box back under the seat where it belongs.
runs great, and im not into it very much at all, so im thinking it will be a good starter project for a flathead bobber.

Post by vphd on Apr 20, 2007, 4:39pm

The forks are from a 68-71 Shovel, which may have also been the donor of the hacked up fenders. Can't tell on the tanks. Notice the frame neck has lightening holes. I'm not a WL nut, however.
VPH-D

Post by VPHD on Apr 20, 2007, 4:43pm

Oh yeah, it is a WL frame!
VPH-D

Post by Panzerama on Apr 20, 2007, 7:41pm

VPH,
It might be a WL frame but you better take a close look at that neck, original WLs had springers with 7/8" fork stems. Your neck and that "lightened" filler section may have been tacked on there to accomodate the big twin front end.
WL frames were never "numbered" either, some of the castings and forged pieces that the tubes were brazed to had casting or part numbers on them but these were not actual frame numbers per say.
All in all this one looks like it has a lot more potential than the swing-arm Polish/Russian/Limey circus wagon.

Post by VPHD on Apr 24, 2007, 5:03pm

Circus wagon, Har Har!
Actually, I suppose the fork assembly could be from a late 60s Servi-Car. I think WR frames were drilled in the neck area, not to imply that this is one. I don't know what VE-620T would be, the W series of frames carry no VIN numbers. Does this bike have a title stating that is a 39 Harley-Davidson, or does it have some kind of builder's title?
VPH-D

Post by Panzerama on Apr 25, 2007, 3:06am

VPH-D,
The "frame number" you have is actually UE-620T, I looked at 3 different WLA frames I have in the shop and the same number is on all 3 located on the top side of the skid plate casting directly under the engine.
I can't figure out how to insert an image on this forum so I'll post one on Forum II in new thread.

Post by Panzerama on Apr 25, 2007, 3:53am

Lets see if this works, should be 2 frames sitting on my bench, you can see the number on the front frame very clearly, the one behind it has the same number

Post by motorhead1 on May 10, 2007, 2:00am

If it is a 40 and earlier frame there should only be two slots for the transmission. 41 and later had a third lug attached to the right sie of the frame.

re: Need frame ID help

Post by Guest »

I have a frame that looks identical, but the frame I have has: UE-020T cast into the same location and the frame also has ZE-35T in the neck area. Does the "U" designate a U series flathead vs. W series?

re: Need frame ID help

Post by Guest »

BTW: I'm new here to this forum. wasn't sure where to do an intro...
The posting shows up as "guest" but I'm logged in as "brujo"

Return to “Frame / Transmission”