can anyone identify this frame?

Identification information of frames and transmissions
PanHead Fred

can anyone identify this frame?

Post by PanHead Fred »

I purchased a PanShovel Basketcase and i would like to construct a Bobber Project.Can anyone tell me if this was a stock frame that was hacked and welded or a custom or aftermarket frame.If anyone has a frame that would accept a Panhead engine for sale at a really reasonable price,please contact me.The rake has to be such that it would accept a 2" under Springer.
Click on trhis link to view: http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/601102

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: can anyone identify this frame?

Post by john HD »

welcome to the forum fred!

it looks like a knucklehead frame that has been raked.

john

panhead55

Post by panhead55 »

hey there. this is an original knucklehead frame. it maybe be earlier than a 46 because it doesnt appear to have a bull neck. a lot of things are cut off and a few things that dont belong exist. to me this frame can be put back in working shape with some imagination and a good frame guy. im in phoenix az, so i take my frames to dave over at "fast track." the guy is good. from the looks of the main section the "notch" is there so you could run a pan motor in the frame. the jiffy stand loops are still intact and v-twin has the replacement parts you might need or want. i wouldnt try to fully restore the frame especially if your running a panhead motor, just get it in working condition and enjoy the bike.

-billy

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

That is an early 70s classic hack job on a knuckle frame. Don't forget adding a brake cross over tube unless your are going to use a rear disc brake.
VPH-D

panhead55

Post by panhead55 »

correct. you can weld that cross over tube back on or just run disc. try to avoid the juice drum so you dont have to add that goofy tab on the bottom left side. takes away from the coolness that is a rigid HD frame...

-billy

Return to “Frame / Transmission”