swing arm question

Identification information of frames and transmissions
wlh1950

swing arm question

Post by wlh1950 »

Question from tim:

I have a swing arm style frame. The numbers stamped on the top motor mount bracket is d2.I think its a shovel frame but im not sure of the year. Their is no serial number on the neck, not sure if someone has grinded it down. It seems to be in good shape, but I don't want to put time and money in it if it's a junk frame. thanks tim

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: swing arm question

Post by Robert Luland »

wlh1950 wrote:Question from tim:

I have a swing arm style frame. The numbers stamped on the top motor mount bracket is d2.I think its a shovel frame but im not sure of the year. Their is no serial number on the neck, not sure if someone has grinded it down. It seems to be in good shape, but I don't want to put time and money in it if it's a junk frame. thanks tim
D2=April 1962. It has no serial numbers. Look at the area where the rear fender struts bolt on. Does it set down into the battery area or is it straight. If it dips down? It's 58-64. See picture.
Bob L
IM001436.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: swing arm question

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Tim, if it's a 1958-1964 type frame as per Bob's picture then D2 would usually indicate April 1962 as the time of manufacture. However, we sometimes see frames that are a combination of pieces from different years and that includes having the steering head replaced/altered etc. You mentioned you thought it was a Shovel frame so I'm wondering why. Can you post clear photos of both sides of the frame. That may help us identify what you have. Eric

Return to “Frame / Transmission”