Info on a Frame

Identification information of frames and transmissions
harleydw
Bikes: 1997 Dyna,1955 FLH

Info on a Frame

Post by harleydw »

I bought a roller a while back for the motor.It is a square tub swingarm frame with a gooseneck.It had a 55 pan motor in it.The only numbers I have found on the frame are A9 on the top motor mount.I was wondering if any one could give me any info on the frame and how much it might be worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Info on a Frame

Post by Bigincher »

Based on the date stamp on the top motor mount (can you provide a photo?), and it's a swingarm frame, I believe it was manufactured in January of 1969-- but I think that should have the round swingarm tubes. It's obviously had some serious stretch work done to it at some point.
As for value, my mind works in such a way that I calculate what it would cost to restore it to original, and subtract the difference...! -- if that makes any sense. :o
Can you post better/larger photos?
Value is hard to determine--- there's a buyer out there for almost everything; finding him at the right time is the key to making a profitable sale. :wink:

harleydw

Post by harleydw »

Thanks for the info.I will try and get some better pics.Is there any where else I should be looking for numbers?

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

harleydw wrote:Thanks for the info.I will try and get some better pics.Is there any where else I should be looking for numbers?
Not that I know of--- there will certainly be no VIN on the frame, that started in 1970. I'm not 'up' on all the Hallmarks and cast codes for the various cast frame parts. If you can show a nice closeup of the stamp on the right side of the top motor mount, that will help confirm it as a '59.

harleydw

Post by harleydw »

Here are some more pics one is a close up of the motor mount
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

harleydw, welcome to the forum.

1. Your type of top engine mount appears to be the style used for 1970 and later Shovelhead frames. And it looks like the A9 date code is stamped on the LEFT-hand side? Can you confirm that. I think that A9 in this instance may indicate January 1979 manufacture although that won’t necessarily mean it’s a 1979 model frame.

2. In your last post you said: ‘Here are some more pics ...’ But the only one I see there is of the top mount. If you provided more than one picture in that last post can you please re-post the others. And can you please post LARGE photos showing both sides of the frame in full.

3. You may find numbers on the outside of both the lower rear castings. And if so, can you tell us what they are in full. You may find that they both end in -73.

4. Are there rectangular two-hole blocks attached to the rear of the rear downtubes? If so, can you provide close-up photos of both of them. Eric

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Maybe my eyes are playin havoc with my brain, but those numbers look raised, not stamped. Am I loosin it?....bosheff

jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Bosheff wrote:Maybe my eyes are playin havoc with my brain, but those numbers look raised, not stamped. Am I loosin it?....bosheff
It's really hard to tell although they do look like they're casting somewhat of a shadow..

Return to “Frame / Transmission”