Another tire question

Wheels, hubs and tires
Davidb
Bikes: 1961 pan head

Re: Another tire question

Post by Davidb »

My front brake adjuster looks like it is completely round

Shouldn't it be oblong so there can be some adjustments. I will try to post picture

David

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

If you are talking about the pivot stud, note the size of the hole in the fork leg is a bit larger than the stud, so there is a bit of adjustment there. loosen the pivot stud nut as well as the axle sleeve nut and axel nut then clamp down on the brake lever so the shoes will expand within the drum, then tighten the nut on the pivot stud and your shoes should be centered in the drum. Re tighten the sleeve nut and the axle nut.

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Thanks panacea

So th adjustment nut should be really loose.

Pull on brakw to center and tighten nut with the brake still applied.

Same with back wheel

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

I cleaned up all my parts. New star hub parts on order. Plus some extra rollers for plug fit.

My question is the brakes. After cleaning up everything the shoes look like they have plenty left and they appear to fit the arc of the drum really well. I have some repop shoes and they seem to fit the arc very well also.

Should I use old brake shoes?
Should I use repop?
Should I have new bonded linings and have them arced.

I found someone locally that can do the bonding and arcing

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

David

Panacea

Post by Panacea »

If the old ones are not all grease contaminated they should be fine, usually the original parts are better quality than new aftermarket...Mike

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Panacea

Took them into a brake place that said he has done hundreds of old HD's. Going to get new linings and he will arc to drums.

He convinced me that the new material would be better then the existing that was on there. I do not know if they are original pads but probably not, since the rear sprocket is on a chrome drum, from what I understand is not original.

Winter has hit here in Denver so I am not in as much of a hurry as I was 2 days ago when it was 70 degrees F

David

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Looks like the only part I could not remove easily from the star hub is the roller retainer thrust washer. I will probably damage this piece if I remove.

Starts hub looked pretty good inside. Does this need to be removed and replaced

David

Panacea

Post by Panacea »

The retainer thrust washer can stay in place...

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Davidb wrote:Looks like the only part I could not remove easily from the star hub is the roller retainer thrust washer. I will probably damage this piece if I remove.
Starts hub looked pretty good inside. Does this need to be removed and replaced
David
Like Mike said, there's really no need to remove that thrust washer. For future reference, it will come out fairly easily with a drift from the other side.
Coincidentally, I am working on a hub right now that has the opposite problem; the retainer thrust washer is a little loose. And the replacement parts I got are waaay too loose. (That's a separate issue, and I will have to notate another bad repop part, I think it's from Eastern.)

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 »

Has anyone tried those AVON Gangster tires? Do they fit a stock Panhead?

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Update,

New tires, tubes, cleaned and trued rims, new nipples in rims
rebuilt star hubs
New brake linings and some brake components, had to replace rear brake cylinder. back brakes work great
Re-rebuilt generator, local expert had the field coil wired incorrectly and there were some bare wires in there, thank you Perry R. for the help on determining the issue. when bench testing. it ran backwards, indicating the fault in the wiring. All is good now or appears to be. 6.5 volts with lights on. 8 volts when lights are off.
New wiring harness
rebuilt dash

got a problem, fired the machine up and ran fine, took for a little ride and "boiled" the grease out of the rear hub.

Have not had time to take apart but looks like I might have smoked the rear right side of the star hub, measured around 200+ degrees with gun.

Also, when I tighten the front wheel and put a small amount of tension on the front axle nut it appears to lock up the front wheel. this is with the other bolts loose on the bottom of the right fork.
I left the front wheel slightly tight, enough for the front wheel to spin freely with no apparent end play for the test drive and it appeared to be good.

This same condition exist on the rear wheel, I have tightened the fasteners in the proper order and still have the heat condition on the rear wheel.

Any thoughts, I will remove rear wheel sometime over the holidays and do an inspection.

Merry Christmas

David

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

In regard to the tight wheels, sounds to me like you need to check to ensure you have the proper axles , spacers, hub internals etc. for your 61. Are they stock assemblies?

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Just a guess. if both wheels are tight, and you already smoked a bearing on the right rear. There are too many shims in the hubs!

How did you set the end play? Corks in or out?

john

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

It does sound like not enough hub end play, or the outside chance of the wrong or incorrectly installed axle spacer. If an axle spacer is used that pushes on the star cover instead of the hub bearing sleeve, that will cause some big problems, like what you describe.

Geo.

Davidb

Post by Davidb »

The machine to function well before I took it apart. put it back together just as it went apart.

I will take it apart again and submit my findings

Thanks to all

David

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”